Fact #1: We didn’t get to be one of the world’s largest IP law firms by just growing our lawyer ranks and adding offices.
We got there by truly believing in our clients and then protecting, advocating, and leveraging their ideas. The world’s leading corporations and innovators have entrusted us with their most valuable assets for 45 years. They rely on our legal, technical, and scientific experience. And they understand we not only speak their language—but we know how to listen, too. That’s the first fact you need to know about Finnegan. And there are many more.
Fact #2: We have an incredibly wide range of IP-focused talent.
We offer full-service IP legal and technical experience in virtually every industry and technology—from electrical and computer technology, industrial manufacturing, consumer products, medical devices, and biotechnology to pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and alternative energy. Our practice includes all aspects of patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret law, including counseling, prosecution, licensing, and litigation. We also represent clients on IP issues related to international trade, portfolio management, the Internet, e-commerce, government contracts, antitrust, and unfair competition.
More than 350 lawyers focused on intellectual property, plus an additional 600 professionals and support staff, including patent agents, legal assistants, and dedicated docketing, research, litigation support, and information technology specialists
325+ professionals with scientific degrees
80+ professionals with Ph.D.'s
250+ professionals registered to practice before the USPTO
50+ professionals who are former USPTO examiners
Fact #3: We don't just value diversity, we live it every day—in thought, approach, and solutions.
Diversity is so much a part of our culture, we’re consistently identified as one of the nation’s top law firms for minority and overall diversity. In the Vault Guide
’s 2013 survey of the leading law firms for women, minorities, and overall diversity, Finnegan was ranked in the top 25 in each of these categories. We are particularly pleased to be identified by Working Mother
magazine as a top 100 company for working mothers. Additionally, for the last two years, Working Mother
magazine and the Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF) ranked Finnegan as one of the top law firms in the United States for women. Our commitment to diversity says a lot about our culture in general. We believe in being inclusive, not exclusive. We value collaboration and working as a team. And most important, we are committed to continuing to expand the diverse face of our firm through recruiting, mentoring, collaborating, and innovative approaches that ensure our lawyers and staff develop both personally and professionally.
Fact #4: Sometimes, it’s best to let others speak for you.
- IP Group of the Year, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013 (Law360)
- #1 Tier National Ranking for Intellectual Property Law, 2010-2014 (U.S. News - Best Lawyers Best Law Firms)
- #1 Band U.S. Law Firm for Intellectual Property, 2007-2014 (Chambers USA)
- IP Litigation Department of the Year, 2006, 2012 (American Lawyer)
- IP Firm of the Year, 2008-2012 (Managing Intellectual Property North American IP Awards)
- #1 or #2 Tier U.S. Law Firm for Patent Contentious and Prosecution Work, 2005-2014 (Managing Intellectual Property’s World IP Surveys)
- #1 Tier U.S. Law Firm for Trademark Contentious and Prosecution Work, 2008-2014 (Managing Intellectual Property’s World IP Surveys)
- #1 or #2 Tier U.S. Law Firm for Copyright Work, 2008-2014 (Managing Intellectual Property’s World IP Survey)
- #1 Tier Law Firm for Patent Litigation and Prosecution, 2008-2014 (The Legal 500 U.S.)
- #1 Tier Law Firm for Trademark Litigation and Prosecution, 2008-2014 (The Legal 500 U.S.)
- Leading U.S. Law Firm for Patent Litigation, 2011-2014 (Intellectual Asset Management, Patent 1000)
- Leading U.S. Law Firm for Patent Prosecution, 2012-2014 (Intellectual Asset Management, Patent 1000)
- #1 Tier Law Firm for Trademark Work in the United States and in the DC-Metro Area, 2011-2014 (World Trademark Review, WTR 1000)
- #1 Tier Foreign Firm for Patents—Japan, 2007-2014 (Managing Intellectual Property’s World IP Surveys)
- #1 Band International Firm—Taiwan, 2010 (Chambers Asia); 2011-2014 (Chambers Global)
Fact # 5: We’ve come a long way in 50 years.
March 1, 1965. The firm Finnegan & Henderson is founded on the 12th floor of the Chanin Building at 815 Connecticut Avenue in Washington, DC, by Marcus Finnegan and Douglas Henderson. The mission: to do high-quality legal work focused exclusively on intellectual property law.
1968. The firm changes its name to Finnegan, Henderson & Farabow. Art Garrett becomes a partner, and his name is subsequently added to the masthead in 1973.
1979. On April 13, 1979 at the age of 53, the firm’s beloved Marc Finnegan passes away. In the fall of 1979, Don Dunner becomes a name partner.
1988. The firm opens our Tokyo, Japan office and becomes one of the first patent firms to have a lawyer actively practicing in Japan as Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi Jimusho (lawyer in foreign law).
1990. The firm’s Washington, DC office moves to 1300 I Street, NW. Our lawyer headcount reaches 100.
1993. Our Brussels, Belgium office opens to support our growing European client base.
1997. We open our Atlanta, GA and Palo Alto, CA offices.
1999. The firm grows to 200 lawyers.
2001. We open our 4th U.S. office in the high-tech market of Boston, MA.
2002. The firm is included for the first time in American Lawyer
’s list of the 100 largest U.S. law firms—we are the only law firm in the listing focused exclusively on intellectual property law. Our Reston, VA office opens, and the firm’s lawyer ranks reach 300.
2003. Our Taipei, Taiwan office opens.
2005. The DC office relocates to 901 New York Avenue, where we are the anchor tenant in an award-winning building at the center of a downtown redevelopment project.
2008. Our 4th international office opens in Shanghai, China. The firm changes its logo and officially recognizes Finnegan as its short name.
2013. Our European office relocates to London, and Finnegan Europe LLP is licensed to practice law in the UK.
Fact #6: To us, pro bono isn’t just a program. It’s a state of mind and a way of life.
Our pro bono work is as varied and diverse as the professionals at our firm. We let our professionals tell us what is important to them and where they feel they can best put their passion and expertise to good use. We credit 80 hours a year toward a lawyer’s billable hours goal. For those who choose more involved pro bono work such as litigation, the additional hours are rewarded and credited toward bonuses. Our lawyers sharpen their skills and help others by litigating criminal and civil cases, negotiating agreements and settlements, and working hand-in-hand with community nonprofit organizations to address their constituencies’ legal issues. We provide counsel to artists, children, the elderly, veterans, the homeless, and other groups in need that might not be heard without our assistance.
Fact #7: In complex IP disputes, few firms can match the scope of our talent and experience.
Our litigation practice covers all aspects of IP disputes, from complex patent litigation and appeals to trademark disputes. Our 300+ experienced IP litigators have handled hundreds of cases at all stages of litigation. We have more than 20 former district court or trial judge law clerks and nearly 50 former CAFC or CCPA law clerks. In the last five years alone, Finnegan has represented clients in more than 100 Federal Circuit appeals.
Our litigation experience includes:
- Patent infringement and related litigation issues
- Patent appeals
- U.S. International Trade Commission, Section 337 cases
- Trademark litigation
- Copyright litigation
- Trade secret litigation
Fact #8: Our patent stats are hard to beat.
- 80 percent of our work is patent-related
- 350+ attorneys focused on patent
- 250+ professionals registered to practice before the USPTO
- 50+ professionals who are former USPTO examiners
- 9,000+ U.S. patent applications filed in a three-year period
- Involved in 450+ district court litigations in the past five years
- Represented either the complainant or the respondent in nearly 20 percent of all ITC cases filed in the past five years
- Briefed and/or argued more than 75 Federal Circuit appeals in the past five years
Fact #9: We have one of the most successful trademark practices in the world.
- #1 Tier U.S. Law Firm for Trademark Contentious and Prosecution Work, 2008-2014 (Managing Intellectual Property’s World IP surveys)
- #1 Tier Law Firm for Trademark Litigation and Prosecution, 2008-2014 (The Legal 500 U.S.)
- #1 Tier Law Firm for Trademark work in the United States and in the DC-Metro Area, 2011-2014 (World Trademark Review, WTR 1000)
- #1 Band Law Firm for Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets work in DC, 2012-2014 (Chambers USA)
- Currently responsible for more than 28,000 trademark applications and registrations (U.S. and foreign)
- Filed and defended 600 U.S. trademark oppositions and cancellations in the past five years
- More than 100 U.S. trademark civil litigations filed and defended in the past five years
- Involved in more than 500 UDRP arbitrations
- Litigated more than 75 civil litigations in the United States involving domain names
Fact #10: We're at the hub of innovation—wherever in the world it may be.
Our clients’ businesses and IP assets are global, and protection of these assets is increasingly challenging. With offices around the world and decades of experience assisting multinational companies, Finnegan has the resources and expertise to formulate and execute global strategies. We’re located in research and technology centers such as Atlanta, Georgia; Boston, Massachusetts; Palo Alto, California; and Reston, Virginia. We regularly appear on our clients’ behalf in courts throughout the U.S. and before regulatory and administrative agencies in Washington, DC. We also have offices in the key global markets of London, Shanghai, Taipei, and Tokyo. Our professionals are multilingual and multicultural, and they work with clients in real time around the clock and around the world.