Clare A. Cornell
Partner, European Trade Mark and Patent Attorney
Clare Cornell is a European trade mark and patent attorney. Her practice comprises trade mark prosecution; maintenance; enforcement and opposition; clearance searching; portfolio management; IP due diligence; and IP licensing and assignment.
Ms. Cornell provides a broad range of advice in high-level IP due diligence programs, advising on all aspects of IP as well as the preparation of agreements for the transfer of IP portfolios. She has assisted in multi-million dollar IP due diligence projects during both the acquisition and divestiture of businesses, as well as coordinated multi-jurisdictional post-acquisition IP assignment programs, and provided IP auditing services to clients who have acquired large IP portfolios, including portfolios having in excess of 1,000 rights.
Skilled in coordinating national and international trade mark filing strategies, Ms. Cornell serves an international client base, including through the European Union Intellectual Property Office and the World Intellectual Property Organization's (WIPO) Madrid International trade mark registration system. She has particular experience working with attorneys in China on the opposition and cancellation of bad faith trade mark applications and registrations.
Before joining Finnegan, Ms. Cornell was a partner in a UK law firm of patent and trade mark attorneys. Her technical experience includes advising clients in the construction, chemical, clothing, alcoholic beverage, packaging, and nutraceutical industries.
- Recognized as an "IP Star" in the United Kingdom by Managing Intellectual Property, 2016.
- European Patent Institute (EPI) (member, 2012-present)
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) (fellow, 2006-present; International Liaison Committee Head of India Group, 2015-present)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA) (observer, 2011-present)
- Regular contributor for Finnegan’s trademark blog Incontestable®.
- Coauthor. “BREXIT - The UK Votes to Leave the European Union,” Imp. & Exp. Magazine, August 2016.