Esther H. Lim
Esther H. Lim has a broad patent practice, including litigation, prosecution, licensing, opinions, due diligence, and portfolio management. She represents international companies from Asia, Europe, and the United States in complex cases involving technology ranging from computers to pharmaceuticals. Ms. Lim served as the founding managing partner of the firm’s Shanghai office.
Ms. Lim frequently writes and lectures internationally on issues relating to procurement and enforcement of U.S. intellectual property rights. She served as editor-in-chief of the Last Month at the Federal Circuit newsletter. Ms. Lim teaches patent law as an adjunct professor at Howard University School of Law. While resident in China, she taught IP courses to postgraduate students at Renmin University and Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
- Represented a leading electronics company in a complex patent litigation involving processors for PlayStation® products, which resulted in a favorable settlement.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of a global telecommunications company against charges of infringement.
- Oversees patent portfolio management of startups and large corporations.
- Serves as a chair of the Conference of the Institute for Intellectual Property and Social Justice at Howard University School of Law.
- Worked on pro bono projects involving client intakes at community clinics and also assisted with translations related to legal services for non-English speaking communities.
- Served as a law clerk to the Honorable Randall R. Rader of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Served as senior managing editor, Maryland Journal of International Law and Trade.
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation.
- Ranked among top U.S. patent lawyers in Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Patent Law Practitioners since 2011.
- Recognized by Managing Intellectual Property as an “IP Star” in Washington, D.C., 2013-2015, and in China, 2013-2015.
- Recognized as a leader in the field of intellectual property law by Chambers Asia: Asia’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013.
- Recognized as one of the Top 250 Women in IP Law by Managing Intellectual Property, 2013.
- IP and Social Justice Award by Howard University Institute for Intellectual Property & Social Justice, 2013.
- Voted as Best Teacher for Renmin University School of Law IP Course, 2010.
- Burton Award for Legal Achievement, a national award for legal writing, 2007.
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association’s “Best Lawyers Under 40” award, 2005.
- American Bar Association (ABA Presidential Appointment to the Asia Law Initiative Council, 2012-present; Planning Committee for National Conference for the Minority Lawyer, 2006; Annual Convention Host Committee, 2002)
- D.C. Bar (Global Legal Practice Task Force, 2015-present; Board of Governors, 2005-2008; Development Committee, 2006-2007; Nominations Committee, 2002)
- Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs (Board of Directors, 2007-2009)
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (co-chair, IP Committee, 2005-2014; secretary, 2007-2008; regional governor, 2003-2005; co-chair, Women’s Leadership Committee, 2003-2007)
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Law Foundation (Board of Governors, 2005-2007)
- D.C. Computer Law Forum (president, 2003-2005)
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of the Greater Washington DC Area (president, 2001-2002; Board of Directors, 1999-2005)
- Federal Circuit Bar Association (Planning Committee for United States-China Intellectual Property Adjudication Conference, 2012; Planning Committee for Global Communities Conference, 2011)
- Serves as an advisor and contributor for Finnegan's Federal Circuit IP blog.
- Coauthor. "Recent Developments on SEP,"Managing Intellectual Property, Chinese edition, July 2014.
- Coauthor. "Essentials of Standard-Essential Patents: Managing IP Risks in View of Recent Developments in the United States," Managing Intellectual Property, Chinese edition, Dec. 2013.
- "Clearing the IP Pathway for Chinese Alternative-Energy Companies," Imp & Exp Executive Magazine, June 1, 2012.
- "Influencing the Evolving IP System and Law of China Through International Outreach," Washington Journal of Law, Technology & Arts, Spring 2012.
- Coauthor. "America Invents Act: A New Era of U.S. Patent Law," Managing Intellectual Property, Chinese edition, Dec. 2011.
- Coauthor. "How Will Patent Reform Affect the Software and Internet Industries?" The Computer & Internet Lawyer, Dec. 2011.
- "Reflections of a U.S. Lawyer in China: An Asian American Journey Back to Asia," ABA Section of International Law Diversity Newsletter, Summer 2011.
- "China's Growing Constellation in the Global IP Sky," China IP News, April 15, 2011.
- Coauthor. "2009 Patent Law Decisions of the Federal Circuit," American University Law Review, April 30, 2010.