Patrick J. Coyne
Patrick Coyne is a trial and appellate attorney. His litigation experience includes patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret claims; related antitrust and unfair competition issues; general commercial litigation; products liability; and domestic and international arbitration. He also assists clients with strategic portfolio development and management.
Mr. Coyne has argued more than 100 cases in state and federal trial and appellate courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court. He has represented clients before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC); the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO); and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). He served as a law clerk and technical advisor to Circuit Judge Edward S. Smith of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Mr. Coyne has represented United Technologies, LG Electronics, InterDigital, Gold Peak, FMC, Energy Conversion Devices and Ovonic Battery Company, Ciena, Mobil Oil Corporation, Trex Company, Danaher, Jacobs Vehicle Systems, Allegheny Teledyne, and Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals.
- Professional Real Estate Investors, Inc. v. Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. (S. Ct.). Established the current standard for antitrust claims for misuse of intellectual property rights.
- LG Electronics v. Whirlpool (D. Del.). Secured favorable jury verdict for a commercially significant LG product line.
- Nystrom v. Trex (E.D. Va.). Secured multiple favorable judgments of
noninfringement for various Trex composite product lines.
- Certain 3G Mobile Handsets, 337-TA-601 (ITC). Secured favorable settlement from Samsung.
- LG Electronics v. Iridian Technologies, Inc. (D.N.J.). Secured favorable settlement of complex iris scanner technology litigation involving infringement, trade secret, contract, antitrust, unfair competition, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act claims and counterclaims.
- BTG v. Microsoft Corp. (N.D. Cal.) and BTG v Zimmer Holdings (D. Del.). Secured favorable settlements of BTG's infringement claims.
- Mobil Oil Corp. v. Advanced Environmental Recycling Technologies (D. Del.). Secured jury verdict of invalidity, non-infringement, and inequitable conduct of two AERT patents.
- Diesel Injection Service Co. v. Jacobs Vehicle Systems, Inc. (Conn. Sup. Ct.). Successfully defended preliminary injunction against termination of dealer program permitting Jacobs to support direct sales to engine manufacturers.
- International arbitration between FMC and Tianda Airport Support, Inc., CAP. 143A, and FMC v. Tianda (S.D. Tex.). Secured preliminary injunction and 10-year worldwide permanent injunction protecting FMC's Jetway® passenger boarding bridges.
- Petroscan A.B. v Mobil Oil Corp. (E.D. Va.). Secured multiple summary judgments of non-infringement.
- Recognized as a Washington, D.C. "Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property Litigation, Super Lawyers, 2013-2015.
- Recognized as a leading D.C. area patent litigator by Intellectual Asset Management, 2013-2015.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Project Award, 2011.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association Fellow, 2010.
- Federal Circuit Bar Association, Enduring Leadership Award, 2009, and Hutchinson Excellence in Committee Service Award, 2004-2005.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Board of Directors,
2014-2017; co-vice-chair, 2012-present, IP Practice in China Committee; 2012-present, chair, 2011-2012, vice-chair, 2010-2011, Special Committee on Legislation; chair, 2008-2010, vice-chair, 2007-2008, 2006-2007, Amicus Committee; chair, 2005-2006, vice-chair, 2003-2005, Antitrust Law Committee)
- Federal Circuit Bar Association (president, 2013-2014; president-elect, 2012-2013; vice-president, 2011-2012; treasurer, 2010-2011; secretary, 2009-2010; Board of Governors, 2006-present; chair, Patent Litigation Committee, 2005-2006)
- Giles S. Rich American Inn of Court (master)
- "5 Ways Recent Appellate Rulings Can Affect Your Patent Case," Law360, Oct. 15, 2015.
- Coauthor. "IP in Business Transactions: United States," and "Patents, Trade Marks, Copyright, and Design in United States," PLC's IP in Business Transactions Multi-Jurisdictional Guide, Jan. 1, 2014.
- "The First Sale Doctrine After Costco: Brilliantly Reconciling Decades of Legislative Revision; The Forgotten Curse of the Manufacturing Clause; Or Just Plain Bad Statutory Drafting?" Akron Intellectual Property Journal, 2012.
- "Make a New Plan, Stan! Dealing Effectively with the America Invents Act," BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, April 6, 2012.
- "Will the America Invents Act Strengthen the U.S. Patent System?" China IP Magazine, Feb. 2012.
- "The America Invents Act: How Does It Strengthen the Patent System?" BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, Oct. 28, 2011.
- Coauthor. "The Charge Conference and Draft AIPLA Model Patent Jury Instructions," AIPLA, Oct. 21, 2011.