Thomas W. Winland
Tom Winland has a wealth of experience assisting domestic and international clients in patent and trade secret litigation, licensing, and arbitration. He represents patent owners, trade secret owners, and accused infringers in federal district courts throughout the United States, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), and the International Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Tribunal. His cases span a wide range of technologies, including electrical, mechanical, and solid-state physics. Mr. Winland served as lead counsel for various defense contractors, including Boeing, Hughes Aircraft, and Lockheed Martin; and in various trade secret litigations against the U.S. government in U.S. district courts, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
Mr. Winland frequently counsels clients regarding their intellectual property enforcement strategies and license negotiations, and has considerable experience advising on the impact of U.S. government policies, regulations, and contract clauses governing intellectual property rights.
Mr. Winland lectures extensively on various patent and trade secret litigation and licensing topics, as well as numerous U.S. government contract intellectual property issues.
- Certain Combination Motor and Transmission Systems and Devices, 337-TA-561 (ITC). Lead counsel for Toyota in ITC investigation based on claims of patent infringement directed to Toyota’s hybrid electric vehicles.
- Certain Variable Speed Wind Turbines, 337-TA-641 (ITC). Lead counsel for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in ITC investigation based on claims of patent infringement against MHI’s wind turbines.
- Robert Bosch GmBH v. TRW Automotive, Inc. (D. Ariz.). Lead counsel in patent infringement litigation in Arizona enforcing Robert Bosch Corporation’s patent portfolio on automotive crash sensors.
- Lead counsel in numerous litigations in California and elsewhere to enforce Philips Electronics patents relating to CD and DVD discs.
- Parental Guide of Texas, Inc. v. Funai Corporation, Inc. (E.D. Tex.). Lead counsel for Philips Electronics and handled the Markman claim construction hearing on behalf of Philips and 12 co-defendant television manufacturers in Marshall, Texas, patent case.
- Stambler v. VeriSign and RSA Security Inc. (D. Del.). Lead counsel defending VeriSign against charges of patent infringement involving Internet credit card payment technology.
- Solarex Corp. v. Advanced Photovoltaic Systems (D. Del.). Represented Amoco Corporation in multiple actions in Delaware and Virginia to enforce its patents on amorphous silicon solar cells.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2005; and for intellectual property litigation, patent litigation, and patent law, 2011-2017.
- Recognized as a Washington, D.C. "Super Lawyer" in Intellectual Property Litigation, Super Lawyers published by Thomson Reuters, 2016.
The District of Columbia Bar
American Bar Association (Sections on Litigation, Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law, and Public Contract Law)
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Licensing Executives Society