Robert A. Pollock Ph.D.
Robert Pollock has broad experience in a wide variety of strategic counseling, litigation and pre-litigation matters including Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) and traditional patent cases. As trial and appellate counsel, he has performed pre-suit investigations and opinions, developed litigation strategies, briefed discovery and summary judgment motions, taken expert testimony, and guided corporate and individual fact witnesses through deposition and trial. Aided by his experience in numerous technological disciplines, including immunology, virology, molecular genetics, biomedical detection methodologies, and pharmaceuticals, Dr. Pollock has extensive experience in the development and defense of expert witnesses.
Before entering the practice of law, Dr. Pollock served as a research fellow at the Jerome H. Holland Laboratory of the American Red Cross, where he developed transgenic mouse systems for the study of embryonic skeletal development. While at the Red Cross, Dr. Pollock also developed a novel method of inactivating non-enveloped viruses in blood products.
- Represented Astellas in a Paragraph IV ANDA litigation involving generic challenge to its Protopic® dermatologic ointment.
- Represented Wyeth (subsequently Pfizer) in numerous Paragraph IV ANDA litigations involving its multibillion-dollar antidepressant, Effexor XR®.
- Represented Syngenta Seeds, Inc., in an appeal from an unfavorable jury decision relating to genetically engineered corn modified to produce a natural insecticide from Bacillus thuringiensis (“Bt”).
- Represented Genetics Institute (subsequently Wyeth) in interference proceedings against Genentech regarding recombinant Factor VIII.
- Represented Beckman-Coulter, Inc. and Coulter Corporation in interference proceedings and subsequent litigation regarding controls for automated hematology instruments.
- Defended Eli Lilly and Company in a litigation with Chiron regarding hepatitis C virus.
- Pro bono representation before the D.C. Landlord and Tenant Court.
- Coauthor. "Inter Partes Review: Tips for the Patent Holder," Law360, May 24, 2013.
- Coauthor. "Relief from Final Judgment After Administrative Patent Invalidation," Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, May 2013.
- Coauthor. "Confusion Over Patent Infringement Pleading and Form 18," Law360, April 2, 2013.
- Coauthor. "Patent Application Pendency Might Be at a Turning Point," Law360, Nov. 30, 2012.
- Coauthor. "FTC Champions Inconsistent Positions on the Reverse Payment Settlement Debate," Intellectual Property Today, Nov. 2012.
- Coauthor. "Overt Mistake and the Presumption of Validity: Questions and Insights After Sciele Pharma v. Lupin Ltd.," Westlaw Journal Intellectual Property, Oct. 4, 2012
- Coauthor. "Could Crowdfunding Jeopardize Eligibility for Reduced Patent Office Fees?" BNA Patent, Trademark and Copyright Journal, Sept. 14, 2012.
- Coauthor. "Third Party Challenges Before, During, and After Litigation," Intellectual Property Today, Sept. 2012.
- Coauthor. "2011 Patent Law Decisions of the Federal Circuit," American University Law Review, April 10, 2012.