Philip L. Cupitt Ph.D.
Partner, European Patent Attorney
Philip Cupitt, Ph.D. focuses his practice on drafting and prosecuting patent applications in all engineering disciplines. His technical experience includes electronics, telecommunications, medical devices, optics, mechanical engineering, and manufacturing.
Dr. Cupitt has particular experience in obtaining patents for software. He has prosecuted hundreds of European patent applications for software-based inventions, and he has helped UK companies to patent their software around the world. Dr. Cupitt is often asked to provide pre-filing opinions on the patentability of software-based inventions under European law. He has a particular interest in computer security, financial technology, e-commerce, image and video processing, and Internet-based technologies.
Dr. Cupitt has extensive experience in opposition and appeal proceedings before the European Patent Office (EPO). His practice includes patent litigation, freedom-to-operate investigations, opinions on patent infringement and validity, and preparing and prosecuting registered design applications.
He is a frequent lecturer on patent law and has spoken at numerous events in Europe and the United States.
- Represented a U.S. telecommunications company in an appeal to the UK Patents Court relating to the patentability of computer programs and business methods.
- Represented a distributor of fitness equipment in patent disputes in the UK and Germany. Obtained a favourable settlement for the client.
- Won numerous offensive and defensive oppositions at the EPO relating to mobile telecommunications.
- Successfully defended a U.S. company's patent for a needleless injection device in European opposition proceedings.
- Built a global portfolio of patents and designs for a European medical device manufacturer.
- Prosecuted hundreds of European patent applications for a U.S. wireless technology company; also represented the company in opposition, appeal, and international preliminary examination proceedings.
- Recognized as a leading patent prosecutor at the European Patent Office by Intellectual Asset Management, 2016.
- Recommended for intellectual property by The Legal 500 United Kingdom, 2015.
- European Patent Institute (EPI) (member, 2007-present)
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) (fellow, 2006-present)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) (foreign affiliate, 2010-present)
- Regular contributor to Full Disclosure, Finnegan's patent prosecution newsletter.
- "The EU's New Patent System and the FinTech Industry," E-Finance & Payments Law & Policy, Dec. 2015.
- Coauthor. "A Comparison of the Patentability of Software in the United States and Europe," Computer Law Review International, June 15, 2015.
- Coauthor. "New Guidelines Suggest a Friendlier European Patent Office," Law360, Oct. 30, 2014.
- "Navigating the Line of Financial Technology Patentability," E-Finance & Payments Law & Policy, Oct. 22, 2013.