Michele C. Bosch
Michele Bosch's practice includes many areas of intellectual property law with an emphasis on portfolio management and analysis, due diligence investigations, post-grant proceedings including inter partes review (IPR) and post-grant review (PGR) before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), patent interference proceedings, pre-litigation analysis, and comprehensive strategic client counseling. She advises clients in a wide range of industries: pharmaceuticals, consumer products, life sciences, and chemicals, including agrichemicals.
Ms. Bosch is a registered patent attorney with more than 20 years of experience representing domestic and international clients in ex parte and inter partes matters before the USPTO. She has particular experience in patent interference proceedings, serving as lead and back-up lead counsel.
Ms. Bosch's diverse practice has enabled her to provide full service and complex strategic counseling on U.S. patent validity and infringement issues, as well as matters involving patentability and priority of invention issues. She is also a frequent lecturer at U.S. and international legal and corporate seminars on a variety of patent law topics. Ms. Bosch is a frequent lecturer on strategic considerations related to the America Invents Act (AIA), particularly post-grant proceedings.
- Currently lead/back-up counsel for clients in the life sciences industry in a variety of PTAB proceedings, including IPR and interference proceedings challenging competitor patents and/or defending valuable portfolios/patents.
- Served as practice group leader for the firm's chemical and metallurgical practice group, 2008-2012; served as a member of the firm's Management Committee, 2004-2007; and served as the firm's hiring partner, 2002-2004.
- Adjunct professor of Patent Interference course at George Mason University Law School, 2006-2010.
- Recognized by The Legal 500 U.S. for patent prosecution, re-examinations, and post-grant proceedings, 2015, 2016.
- Listed in LMG Life Sciences as an Intellectual Property: Life Sciences Star, 2012-2015.
- American Intellectual Property Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- American Chemical Society
- Serves as an editor to Finnegan's AIA blog on PTAB trials and AIA provisions.
- Coauthor. "Unpredictability: Understanding the U.S. Enablement Requirement," CIPA Journal, March 2012.
- Coauthor. "Demystifying IP Due Diligence," Managing Intellectual Property, June 2006.
- "Being Prepared for U.S. Litigation Can Make All the Difference," Patent World, Sept. 1995.
- "Third Party Opinions—Traps and Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them," Federal Circuit Bar Journal, Winter 1994.
- Coauthor. "Willful Infringement: A Real Concern," Federal Circuit Bar Journal, Winter 1993.