Maureen D. Queler
Maureen Queler practices all aspects of patent-related work in the chemical and pharmaceutical areas, including client counseling, patent prosecution, post-grant proceedings, and U.S. district court and appellate litigation.
She represents clients in inter partes review (IPR) and other contested proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Ms. Queler also has an active patent prosecution and counseling practice, preparing and prosecuting U.S. patent applications on behalf of domestic and foreign clients, with an emphasis on chemical subject matter including polymers, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, oils, renewable diesels, and catalyst technologies. In addition, she has particular experience representing pharmaceutical patent holders in litigations arising under the Hatch-Waxman Act.
Ms. Queler devotes time to pro bono matters, representing a number of veterans in appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
- Lannett Holdings, Inc. v. AstraZeneca AB (PTAB). Patent owner's counsel in two IPRs relating to Zomig® Nasal Spray.
- Coalition for Affordable Drugs V LLC v. Biogen (PTAB). Patent owner's counsel in two IPRs relating to Tecfidera®, obtaining a decision denying institution in both proceedings.
- AstraZeneca AB v. Lannett Holdings, Inc. (D. Del.). Representing AstraZeneca in Hatch-Waxman patent litigation relating to Zomig® Nasal Spray.
- Neste Oil Oyj v. REG Synthetic Fuels, LLC (PTAB). Petitioner's counsel in an IPR relating to phase-change materials, obtaining final written decision of unpatentability of all challenged claims.
- REG Synthetic Fuels, LLC v. Neste Oil Oyj (PTAB). Patent owner's counsel in two IPRs relating to biofuels, with one case resulting in a grant of a motion to amend in an IPR proceeding—only the fourth time such a motion was granted.
- Defending client Neste Oil Oyj in reexamination proceedings before the PTAB and appeal proceedings before the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Ferring B.V. v. Watson Laboratories, Inc. (D. Nev.). Represented Ferring in Hatch-Waxman patent infringement litigations concerning generic versions of Ferring's Lysteda®.
- Pronova Biopharma Norge AS v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. (D. Del.). Represented Pronova in Hatch-Waxman litigation relating to drug Lovaza®.
- Bilski v. Kappos (S. Ct.). Assisted with drafting and researching the merits and reply briefs, as well as preparing for oral argument.
- Former examiner at the USPTO, examining applications in all areas of food science and technology including confectionery compositions, packaging, and sterilization processes, 2004-2005.
- Worked as a vaccine technology engineer for Merck Pharmaceuticals, directly supporting production by optimizing and troubleshooting the vaccine manufacturing process, 2003-2004.
- Recognized by The Legal 500 U.S. for patent prosecution, re-examinations, and post-grant proceedings, 2016.
- Serves as a co-managing editor and contributor for Finnegan's AIA blog on PTAB trials and AIA provisions.
- Coauthor. "5 Distinctions Between IPRs and District Court Patent Litigation," Corporate Counsel, Dec. 16, 2015.
- Coauthor. "Coordinating European and U.S. Post-Grant Patent Opposition," Corporate Counsel, Nov. 4, 2014.
- Coauthor. Veterans Appeals Guidebook: Representing Veterans in the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, ABA Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice, 2013.
- "Countersuits Before the ITC: A Strategy for Respondents," 337 Reporter, 2006.