Linda A. Wadler
Linda Wadler focuses her practice primarily on patent litigation and related counseling for clients in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, and cosmetic industries. She has extensive experience representing brand name pharmaceutical patent holders in Hatch-Waxman litigation on commercially successful pharmaceutical products.
For more than 20 years, Ms. Wadler has obtained, enforced, and defended patent rights during every phase of patent litigation, from inception through trial and appeal. Her diverse experience ranges from the global coordination of worldwide contentious patent proceedings to the efficient management of much smaller cases. Clients and colleagues appreciate Ms. Wadler's ability to use her educational background in biochemistry and wealth of litigation experience to strategically position cases in order to maximize benefit for clients, either through settlement or trial. Ms. Wadler also counsels clients on pre-litigation strategy, due diligence analyses, and opinion work.
Ms. Wadler often lectures in the United States and abroad concerning potential challenges and opportunities for the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries in navigating recent developments in U.S. patent law.
- Represented Grünenthal GmbH against several generic companies in Hatch-Waxman litigation involving the analgesics Nucynta® and Nucynta® ER; the district court enjoined the defendants from marketing generic versions until patent expiry.
- Defended MedImmune, LLC in patent infringement litigation brought by Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Inc. concerning recombinant DNA vectors; case ultimately resolved through confidential settlement.
- Represented Wyeth in multiple separate Hatch-Waxman litigations concerning Effexor XR®, a multibillion dollar antidepressant; the cases were resolved through confidential settlement at various stages of litigation, including in the midst of trial.
- Represented L'Oréal, S.A. in patent infringement litigation against Revlon Consumer Products Corp. involving mascara brushes, obtaining an injunction on behalf of L'Oréal as part of a settlement.
- Represented Organon Inc. in litigation against Steris Laboratories Inc. involving neuromuscular blocking agents, obtaining an injunction on behalf of Organon as part of a settlement.
- Defended Hoechst AG in a U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) investigation involving the antibiotic salinomycin; Hoechst prevailed at the ITC and on appeal.
- Defended American Home in patent infringement litigation against Richardson-Vicks Inc. concerning Advil® Cold & Sinus.
- Served in multiple leadership positions at Finnegan, including recruiting partner, 2000-2002; head of the litigation section, 2007-2009; member of the firm's management committee, 2009-2012; and leader of the firm's biotechnology and pharmaceutical practice group, 2013-2016.
- Women's Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- American Bar Association