Leythem A. Wall
Partner, European Patent Attorney
Leythem Wall is a chartered UK patent attorney, a Higher Courts patent litigator, a European patent attorney, and a European trademark and design attorney. His practice involves patent drafting, prosecution, third-party observations, opinions on infringement and validity, freedom-to-operate assessment, portfolio management, and UK and pan-European pre-litigation strategy, including detailed advice on the Unified Patent Court (UPC). He has extensive experience in European oppositions and appeals, including representation in oral proceedings before the European Patent Office (EPO). Mr. Wall has also successfully coordinated oppositions and appeals in the United States, China, and India.
Mr. Wall's technical experience includes biotechnology, chemistry, agrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, petrochemicals, catalysts, polymers, nanotechnology, marine, aerospace, coatings, paints, semiconductors, superconductors, medical devices, telecommunications, and consumer products including mechanical devices. Since 2005, Mr. Wall has worked in both private practice and as industry IP counsel in the UK and abroad. As such, he is in a unique position to understand his clients' needs and provide a commercially-focused IP service that adds value to their businesses.
Mr. Wall is a frequent lecturer on patent law and has spoken at a number of events in Europe, the United States, and Asia.
- Won numerous defensive and offensive oppositions and appeals at the EPO in a variety of technical areas, including biofuels, catalysts, chemical intermediates, coatings, oil and gas, petrochemicals, polymers, and specialty chemicals.
- Currently handling over ten oppositions and appeals at the EPO for clients Invista, PQ Corporation, and SWM International.
- Wrote the patent applications for a French medical device company, which has now raised over 20 million EUR in investment.
- Former in-house IP law attorney for ExxonMobil working in a variety of technical fields ranging from biofuels to polymers to business methods; had global responsibility for the Oxo patent portfolio, 2010-2013.
- Served as IP counsel for AkzoNobel, globally responsible for their marine, protective coatings, and aerospace patent portfolios, 2009-2010.
- Worked under Professor Peter Edwards FRS of Oxford University, investigating the dielectric catastrophe in high temperature superconducting systems, 2004-2005.
- Michel Scholarship, University of Oxford.
- European Chemist (EurChem).
- Chartered Chemist (CChem).
- Chartered Scientist (CSci).
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (European Practice Committee, 2014-present)
- European Patent Litigators Association (EPLIT) (2014-present)
- European Patent Institute (EPI) (2009-present)
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) (Litigation Committee,
2014-present; Fellow, 2010-present)
- Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) (Law Group, 2011-present)
- European Qualifying Examination Committee (Opposition Paper, 2013-present)
- Regular contributor to Full Disclosure, Finnegan's patent prosecution newsletter; Finnegan's AIA blog on PTAB trials and AIA provisions; and Finnegan's patent blog Prosecution First.
- "What Does Brexit Mean for the Planned Unitary Patent System in Europe," Corporate Counsel, Oct. 12, 2016.
- Coauthor. "BREXIT - The UK Votes to Leave the European Union," Imp. & Exp. Magazine, August 2016.
- Coauthor. "Greater Global Privilege Protection for European IP Practitioner—Client Communications," IP Litigator, May/June 2016.
- Coauthor. "7 Reasons Revocation in EU Could Be as Popular as IPR in U.S.," Law360, April 25, 2016.
- Coauthor. "2016—Countdown to the Unified Patent Court," BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, March 11, 2016.
- "The EPC and the UPC," CIPA Journal, Feb. 2016.
- Coauthor. "A Trump Card for Challengers," Life Sciences Intellectual Property Review, April 30, 2015.
- Coauthor. "What to Consider Before Obtaining and Enforcing a Unitary Patent," Managing Intellectual Property, April 15, 2015.
- "Speeding Things Up at the EPO," Full Disclosure, March 2015.
- Coauthor. "2015—The Year It All Comes Together for The Unified Patent Court," BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, Feb. 13, 2015.