Lori-Ann Johnson focuses on client counseling where she assists clients with the value management of their portfolios. Ms. Johnson helps companies understand the legal and commercial significance of their intellectual property and assists in aligning their IP portfolios to meet their business objectives. She has more than 25 years of experience in the areas of portfolio establishment and landscape analysis, due diligence, including acquisition, freedom to operate, new product launch, and pre-litigation analysis in the chemical area. Ms. Johnson also has significant experience in all phases of utility and design patent preparation and procurement, infringement, validity and patentability opinion preparation, reissue and reexamination practice, interferences, post-grant proceedings including IPR and PGR before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), and licensing.
Ms. Johnson's technical experience is diverse and involves chemical subject matter such as consumer products, pharmaceuticals, papermaking, cosmetics, industrial chemicals, beverage compositions, photochemistry, glass making, and medical devices. She has worked with such companies as Georgia Pacific, Coca Cola, L'Oreal, Astra Zeneca, Sanofi-Aventis, Polymer Group Inc., and Xerox.
Ms. Johnson routinely lectures in both the United States and Europe on all aspects of the protection and enforcement of U.S. intellectual property rights, including chemical patent practice, freedom-to-operate, due diligence, acquisition and landscape analysis, and licensing. From August 2003 to August 2009, Ms. Johnson served as resident managing partner of Finnegan's Brussels office.
- Designated as a Certified Patent Valuation Analyst (CPVA).
- Guest lecturer in the European and Norwegian Patent Offices.
- Assisted client Rambus with due diligence in their $342 million acquisition of Cryptography Research.
- Led team in a pre-purchase due diligence before acquisition of a $250 million product line.
- Fort James Corp. v. Bruce A. Lehman, (D.D.C.). Handled a § 145 Action after an adverse decision from the USPTO Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences.
- Represented veterans before the Court of Appeals for Veteran's claims.
- Successfully represented a consumer product company in a design-design interference.
- Worked as a patent examiner at the USPTO, 1986-1990.
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (member, Committee on Unitary Patent/Unified Patent Court, 2014)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry
- National Association of Professional Women