Michael A. Morin
Mike Morin practices patent litigation at both the trial and appellate court levels. His cases have involved a wide range of technical subjects, including medical devices, software, pharmaceuticals, biologics, consumer products, computer games, amusement rides, and sporting goods.
Mr. Morin has extensive experience in all aspects of patent litigation. He frequently serves as lead counsel in patent infringement litigations and has significant trial experience, including as a first-chair litigator. He has argued at dozens of claim construction and summary judgment hearings, with successful results. He regularly leads litigation teams in complex and significant patent infringement litigations. Mr. Morin's trial practice is complemented by his experience before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, where he has argued on multiple occasions.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Morin advises clients regarding their intellectual property portfolios and strategies, assists with licensing issues, and renders opinions advising clients of their legal positions and responsibilities. Mr. Morin also devotes substantial time to pro bono activities, representing disabled veterans in civil matters and indigent defendants in criminal cases.
Mr. Morin frequently lectures on litigation matters. He is a faculty member of the Trial Advocacy College at the University of Virginia, where he teaches trial skills to law students and attorneys from around the country. Mr. Morin has taught U.S. patent infringement courses for foreign practitioners throughout Europe and Asia, and has lectured at conferences hosted by the ABA, AIPLA, Ali-ABA, PRG, and PLI.
- Successful representation of Abbott in a series of litigations involving coronary stents, resulting in $400 million settlement for our client.
- Lead counsel for Abbott in three separate arbitrations, prevailing in all three cases (and recovering costs and fees in two).
- Lead counsel for Abbott in numerous other patent litigation lawsuits, including multiple patent infringement cases involving its market-leading HUMIRA® antibody, its pioneering VISION™ bare-metal stent, top-selling XIENCE™ drug-eluting stent, and innovative STARCLOSE™ vessel closure system.
- Lead counsel for SAP in multiple patent infringement litigations, including Elcommerce.com, Inc. v. SAP (E.D. Pa.), in which judgment was entered in SAP’s favor after a successful claim construction hearing.
- Shurtape Technologies LLC v. 3M Company (W.D.N.C.). Lead counsel for 3M in case involving its market-leading painter's tape.
- Lead counsel for Copreci S Coop in multiple patent infringement matters.
- Bauer Hockey, Inc. v. Easton Sports, Inc. (D.N.H.). Lead counsel for Bauer in patent infringement litigation involving hockey sticks.
- Lead counsel for Acclarent, a leader in sinuplasty technology, in multiple litigations.
- Lead counsel for ProSlide, a worldwide leader in waterslide technology, in multiple cases.
- Serves as a member of the firm's management committee, 2009-present.
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Licensing Executives Society