Bryan C. Diner
Bryan Diner practices all aspects of intellectual property law, including strategic patent portfolio management, litigation, prosecution, opinion preparation, due diligence investigations, and interferences. His litigation practice has involved diverse technical areas, ranging from protecting the rights of innovative pharmaceutical companies in Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) litigations to defending clients’ right to use certain medical devices. He also has extensive experience in conducting IP due diligence investigations for all types of transactions.
Mr. Diner served as the managing partner of the firm’s Brussels, Belgium office from 1998 through 2003. During his tenure in Brussels, he learned much about the European legal system, from the EPC to the diversity of laws and practice among the European national systems. Strategic portfolio management and litigation counseling to European clients is also an important part of Mr. Diner’s practice. His knowledge of the European legal system and how it differs from that in the United States allows Mr. Diner to counsel both European and domestic clients on a full range of IP issues and to find cohesive solutions tailored to the needs of companies with global interests.
Mr. Diner continues to lecture at various international programs and conferences targeted to the U.S. and European business community. He is fluent in French and has provided lectures in French on U.S. patent law topics involving litigation and due diligence reviews. He coauthored with other Finnegan lawyers a published a course book on due diligence investigations and chemical patent law.
- Recognized by The Legal 500 U.S. as one of the leading lawyers in patent prosecution for utility and design, 2010-2012.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association
- American Chemical Society
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Coauthor. "The U.S. Supreme Court "Cracks the Code," Allowing Generic Drug Manufacturers Increased Access to the Market Through Skinny Labeling.," CIPA Journal, June 2012.
- Coauthor. "Clarity: A First Look at Therasense, Inc. v. Becton, Dickinson and Co.," CIPA Journal, June 2011.
- Coauthor. "2009 Patent Law Decisions of the Federal Circuit," American University Law Review, April 30, 2010.
- Coauthor. "The USPTO Strikes Back: Proposed Fundamental Changes to the US Patent System," Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, May 2007.
- Coauthor. "Across the Pond—The Positions in the US and Europe," Patent World, May 2007.
- Coauthor. "In the Aftermath of Medimmune v. Genentech, Is It All Doom and Gloom for Licensors or Are There Rays of Hope in the Future?" BNA International's IP & Technology Programme, April 2007.
- Coauthor. "The Effect of the U.S. Supreme Court's Decision in eBay v. MercExchange on the Biopharmaceutical Industry," BNA International's IP & Technology Programme, June 2006.
- Coauthor. "Conducting Thorough and Efficient IP Due Diligence Investigations in Corporate Acquisitions," BNA International's IP & Technology Programme, March 2006.
- Coauthor. "Festo: The Tip of the Iceberg," LES Benelux Newsletter, Dec. 2002.
- "Emerging New Biotechnologies and the Patent Attorneys’ Struggle to Best Protect Them," TRENDS in Biotechnology, Jan. 2001.