Ian Y. Liu Ph.D.
Dr. Liu has a diverse practice which includes patent litigation, alternative dispute resolution, patent preparation and prosecution, and patent counseling.
Since joining Finnegan, Dr. Liu has taken an active role in patent litigations, particularly in the Hatch-Waxman Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) litigations, and alternative dispute resolution, particularly in international arbitrations in the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC). In addition, Dr. Liu also handles due diligence investigations and patent procurement in the pharmaceutical, new material, and chemical industries.
Dr. Liu has an extensive technical background and specializes in chemistry, material science and engineering, analytical instrumentation, and medical devices.
- Started his career as a discovery and process chemist and worked at various stages in the drug discovery, development, and approval process, 2000-2006.
- Worked as an in-house patent agent, where he interacted with scientists and management in developing efficient intellectual property protection strategies, 2006.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Chinese American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Sino-American Pharmaceutical Professionals Association
- Coauthor. "No True Inventor Left Behind: Clarifying Issues of Joint Inventorship After American BioScience, Vanderbilt, and Falana" BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, May 18, 2012.
- Coauthor. "So You Want to Collaborate?" Drug Discovery News, March 2012.
- Coauthor. "The Pay-for-Delay Dilemma: Changes and Challenges Are on the Horizon for Innovative Pharmaceutical Companies," Pharmaceutical Formulation & Quality, June/July 2011.
- Coauthor. "Court Decisions Limit Reach of Certain Method Patents," Boston Business Journal, Sept. 26, 2008.
- Coauthor. "Diffusion in Polymers with Concentration Dependent Diffusivity," International Journal of Polymeric Material, 2001.
- Coauthor. "Melt Viscosity of Metallocene Ethylene-Octene Copolymers," Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering, 2001.
- Coauthor. "Abnormal Adsorption Isotherms of MCM-41 Molecular Sieve and Catalysts," Acta Chimica Sinica, 1997.
- Coauthor. "Chemical Liquid Deposition Zeolites with Controlled Pore-Opening Size and Shape-Selective Separation of Isomers," Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 1996.