Christopher P. Foley
Christopher Foley focuses his practice on both trademark and patent law. With regard to trademark law, Mr. Foley works directly with clients' in-house counsel to develop and maintain their worldwide trademark programs. His work in this area has included procurement of trademark registrations, participation in inter partes administrative proceedings, evaluating potentially infringing marks, licensing, and litigation.
Mr. Foley has prepared and prosecuted many patent applications and has significant experience representing clients in patent disputes. His work in the patent area has involved aircraft and aircraft parts, automobiles, automotive parts and accessories, conveyors, fluid control devices, flexible packaging designs and equipment, injection molding products and equipment, medical products and methods, networking systems, paperboard machinery and processing, roof coverings, sports equipment, tools, tooling machinery, and tooling designs.
Mr. Foley has coordinated the daily activities of patent and trademark litigations from the initial pleading stage through trials before judges and juries. He has taken and defended numerous depositions, argued motions, negotiated with opposing counsel to resolve disputes, and participated in settlement conferences before the court.
- Served as an expert witness in patent litigations throughout the United States.
- Served as Finnegan's managing partner, 2001-2006; served as managing partner of the firm's Reston, Va. office, 2002-2012.
- Served as a Naval officer for five years as a ship's navigator and the chief navigator for a squadron of ships and submarines gaining valuable technical experience in supervising the operation of the ship’s electronics and engineering systems.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, 2005-2013.
- Recognized as a leader in the field of intellectual property law by Chambers USA, 2006-2012.
- Virginia State Bar (Intellectual Property Section: Board of Governors, chair, 2013; and vice-chair, 2010-2012)
- District of Columbia Bar
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association