Kevin D. Rodkey
Kevin Rodkey focuses his practice in the areas of post-grant review proceedings, including inter partes review (IPR) and covered business method review (CBM) proceedings; patent litigation; appeals; prosecution; counseling; and transactions. He has managed or assisted in more than two dozen post-grant proceedings related to a variety of electrical and mechanical technologies, representing both petitioners and patent owners. Mr. Rodkey represents plaintiffs and defendants in district court litigation, and advises clients on prosecution strategies, patent validity and infringement opinions, and due diligence investigations.
Mr. Rodkey's technical background encompasses a variety of computer, electrical, and advanced materials-related technologies. His practice includes aspects of wireless technology, data processing, optical systems, mobile devices, consumer products, and specialty materials.
Prior to joining Finnegan, Mr. Rodkey served as an intellectual property and licensing consultant to Pieris AG in Freising, Germany, assisting in a variety of patent-related matters, including portfolio management, transfer agreements, and patent licenses. During law school, he served as an intern for the Honorable Susan G. Braden of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- Fidelity Nat'l Info. Servs. Inc. v. DataTreasury Corp. (PTAB). Represented petitioner Fidelity National Information Services (FIS) in CBMs of check-imaging patents; PTAB issued a final written decision finding the challenged claims unpatentable under 35 U.S.C. §§ 101 and 112; the decision was affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Served on the editorial board of the Federal Circuit Bar Journal, 2009-2010.
- Worked for Georgia Tech Research Institute’s Signature Technology Laboratory, analyzing antenna designs, electrical properties of materials, and radar signature patterns as a co-op student 2003-2006; and as a laboratory assistant, 2006-2007.
- Received an ABA and BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of IP Law, 2010.
- National finalist of the Veterans Law Appellate Advocacy Competition at the George Washington University Law School, 2009.
- Georgia Bar (Intellectual Property Section)
- Licensing Executives Society
- Serves as an editor for Finnegan's Federal Circuit IP blog and as a regular contributor to IP Marketplace, Finnegan's monthly update on developments affecting licensing and other IP transaction.
- Serves as a regular coauthor to LES Insights' weekly publication on patent law and licensing.
- Coauthor. "No Laches Defense of 'Unreasonable Delay' for Patent Infringement Suits Brought Within Six-Year Limitation Period," LES Insights, March 28, 2017.
- Coauthor. "Willful Patent Infringement May Be Alleged in Suit Filed on the Same Day the Patent Issues Based on Prior Notice of Allowance," LES Insights, Nov. 15, 2016.
- Coauthor. "Patent Rights Are Not Exhausted by Sales Outside the United States or by Clearly-Communicated Post-Sale Restrictions," LES Insights, Feb. 23, 2016.