J. Preston (J.P.) Long Ph.D.
J.P. Long's practice includes patent litigation and appeals, patent office practice, and client counseling. He has been involved in Section 337 investigations in the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), patent litigations in U.S. district courts, examinations in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), and review proceedings at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
Dr. Long's litigation experience includes managing discovery, taking and defending depositions, writing briefs and motions, working with corporate and expert witnesses, and developing strategic litigation positions. He counsels clients on claim drafting and patent prosecution strategies and advises on matters arising in the context of licensing, patent valuation, and standard-essential patents. In addition, Dr. Long devotes a portion of his time to pro bono matters, assisting disabled veterans in matters before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
Prior to law school, Dr. Long studied physics for more than ten years, specializing in solid-state and semiconductor physics and gaining in-depth knowledge of related subjects, such as optics and optoelectronics, material science, and physical chemistry. During his graduate research, he worked on optoelectronic materials and devices (including LEDs, laser diodes, photodiodes, and fiber-optics), CMOS technology, high-k dielectrics, amorphous materials and glasses, and compound semiconductors such as gallium nitride and aluminum nitride. Dr. Long also has significant experience with various spectroscopic techniques, as well as semiconductor growth and processing methods and vacuum systems.
- Power Integrations, Inc. v. Fairchild Semiconductor Int'l, Inc. (N.D. Cal.). Represents Fairchild in a patent infringement suit involving power integrated circuit devices.
- Virginia Innovation Sciences, Inc. v. LG Electronics, Inc. (E.D. Va.). Represented LG Electronics in a patent infringement suit involving the conversion and display of multimedia content.
- Stryker Corporation v. Zimmer, Inc. (W.D. Mich.). Represented Zimmer in a patent infringement suit involving personal protection equipment.
- Parthenon Unified Memory Architecture LLC v. HTC Corporation (E.D. Tex.). Represents LG Electronics in a patent infringement suit involving microprocessor circuits.
- Manitto Technologies, L.L.C. v. Toyota Motor Corp. (E.D. Tex.). Represented Toyota in a patent infringement suit involving vehicular navigation systems.
- Certain Digital Media Devices, 337-TA-882 (ITC). Represented LG Electronics in an ITC action involving mobile telephones and televisions, home theater systems, Blu-ray disc players, and tablets. Following trial, all four asserted patents were found not infringed and/or invalid.
- Norman IP Holdings, LLC v. Chrysler Group LLC (E.D. Tex.). Assisted in representing Toyota, Mazda, and Subaru in a patent infringement suit involving microprocessors.
- Certain CMOS Image Sensors, 337-TA-846 (ITC). Represented BlackBerry in an investigation regarding digital camera CMOS technology.
- Judicial law clerk, Honorable Todd M. Hughes, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2013-2014.
- Editorial board member, Duke Law Journal, 2010-2012.
- Office of Technology Transfer, North Carolina State University, 2010.
- Duke University Law School Faculty Award, Intellectual Property and Technology Law, 2012
- GAANN Fellow, North Carolina State University, 2002-2003 and 2008.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Faculty Award for Most Outstanding Physics Student, 2000, 2001
- Virginia State Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Coauthor. "Assessing Patent Value: Software Inventions," Embedded.com, Sept. 7, 2015.
- Coauthor. "Assessing Patent Value: Hardware Inventions," Embedded.com, Aug. 31, 2015.
- Coauthor. "Un-FRANDly Behavior," BNA Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, Jan. 17, 2014
- Coauthor. "Trial Court Procedures in Patent Litigation: Maximizing Chances of Success on Appeal," Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal,
Part 1, Aug. 2013; Part 2, Sept. 2013.
- Coauthor. "The Continuing (R)evolution of Injunctive Relief in the District Courts and the International Trade Commission," IP Litigator, Jan./Feb. 2013.
- Coauthor. "Thermal Evolution and Electrical Correlation of Defect States in Hf-Based High- κ Dielectrics on n-Type Ge(100): Local Atomic Bonding Symmetry," Journal of Applied Physics, 2009.
- Coauthor. "Preparation of Native Oxide and Carbon-Minimized Ge Surface by NH4OH-Based Cleaning for High- κ/Ge MOS Gate Stacks," Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2009.
- Coauthor. "Suppression of Defect States in HfSiON Gate Dielectric Films on n-Type Ge(100) Substrates," Applied Physics Letters, 2008.
- Coauthor. "Properties of III-N MOS Structures with Low-Temperature Epitaxially Regrown Ohmic Contacts," Journal of Crystal Growth, 2006.
- Coauthor. "UV Detectors and Focal Plane Array Imagers Based on AlGaN p-i-n Photodiodes," Optoelectronics Review, 2002.