Erin M. Sommers Ph.D.
Erin Sommers focuses her practice on patent litigation and prosecution, primarily in the chemical and pharmaceutical areas. She has gained litigation experience at all stages of district court Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) litigation and appellate practice before the Federal Circuit. In her prosecution practice, she assists clients with global management of their patent portfolios and has successfully argued on their behalf before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
Dr. Sommers has significant experience in the field of organic chemistry. She earned her Ph.D. at the University of Pennsylvania, where she developed organic synthetic methods for preparing substituted alkenes and allenes. Her background includes research in the areas of catalysis, organo-metallic synthesis, biochemistry, and cellular and molecular physiology.
- Recognized as a Washington, D.C. "Rising Star" in Intellectual Property Litigation, Super Lawyers published by Thomson Reuters, 2014-2016.
- American Chemical Society
- Association for Women in Science
- Coauthor. "Chopped Liver No More: Federal Circuit Identifies a U.S. Patent Agent Privilege," CIPA Journal, June 2016.
- Coauthor. "Greater Global Privilege Protection for European IP Practitioner – Client Communications", IP Litigator, May/June 2016.
- Coauthor. "Designed to Streamline," CIPA Journal, Jan. 2016.
- Coauthor. "Summer USPTO Guidelines Shed Light on the UPSTO's Eligible Subject Matter Analysis," CIPA Journal, Sept. 2015.
- Coauthor. "Versata v. Callidus: A Framework for Analyzing CBM Stays but Under What Standard of Review?" CIPA Journal, Dec. 2014.
- Coauthor. "FTC Champions Inconsistent Positions on the Reverse Payment Settlement Debate," Intellectual Property Today, Nov. 2012.
- Coauthor. "What's Next for the U.S.—The Metric System?: A Quick Look at the "Imminent" Major U.S. Patent Law Reform," CIPA Journal, June 2011.
- Coauthor. "USPTO First Action Interview Pilot Program Redux," CIPA Journal, Sept. 2010 (Republished in Intellectual Property Magazine, Sept. 2010).
- Coauthor. "Palladium(0)-Catalyzed Synthesis of Ene-Allenes Using Alkenyl Trifluoroborates," Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2006.
- Coauthor. "Chromium(III) Catalyzed Synthesis of Allenes from Propargyl Derivatives Via a Carbometalation-Elimination Sequence," Tetrahedron Letters, 2005.