Douglas B. Henderson
Douglas Henderson, founding partner of the firm, practices primarily in litigation, client counseling, licensing, and alternative dispute resolution.
Mr. Henderson has been lead counsel in over 90 patent, trademark, unfair competition, and trade secret litigations in U.S. district and appellate courts, state trial and appellate courts, the U.S. International Trade Commission, and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. A significant portion of his practice has also involved negotiating licensing, settlement, and technical development agreements.
Mr. Henderson has been actively involved in dispute resolution having served as an advocate, mediator, or arbitrator in a wide variety of patent, trademark, unfair competition, and copyright disputes. He is a graduate of the Harvard Mediation Workshop and has been trained as a negotiator, mediator, arbitrator, and settlement counsel.
- Calico Scallop Corp. v. Willis Brother (E.D.N.C., Fourth Cir.). Lead counsel for defendant against large seafood company, successfully defending against charge of patent infringement of scallop processing equipment.
- Successfully represented The Boeing Company as lead counsel in a number of litigations, including obtaining dismissal by summary judgment of charge of patent infringement against the structure of Boeing's helicopter in the D.D.C. and the D.C. Circuit.
- Successfully represented General Electric Co. as lead counsel in a number of litigations, including proving a violation of the Court's protective order and obtaining an award of attorney fees for GE in a patent infringement case on aircraft engines before the U.S. Court of Claims.
- Wolowitz v. United States (Ct. Cl.). Lead counsel for third party defendant, IBM, in a patent infringement case regarding the IBM Correcting Selectric typewriter, leading to a favorable settlement of the case.
- Successfully represented Toshiba as lead counsel in a number of litigations, including obtaining favorable settlement on a charge of patent infringement by Fonar Corp. involving Toshiba's MRI machines by filing a countersuit for infringement against Fonar's MRI machines in the N.D.C.A.
- Successfully represented Sony Corp. as lead counsel in a number of litigations leading to favorable settlements, and successfully defended Sony against a charge of patent infringement against its CCD semiconductor in the E.D.N.Y. and the Federal Circuit.
- Successfully represented Perdue as lead counsel in a number of trademark disputes including obtaining an agreement to cease and desist after asserting Perdue's "It Takes A Tough Man To Make a Tender Chicken" trademark against the mark "It Takes a Tougher Man To Make a Kosher Chicken" in the E.D.N.Y.
- Successfully represented Louisiana-Pacific Corp. as lead counsel in a number of trademark disputes, including obtaining preliminary and permanent injunctions against a former distributor’s continued use of L-P's Nu-Sash trademark.
- Successfully represented, as lead counsel, the intellectual property interests of the Australia II when it won the America's Cup, including defending its "winged keel" design against charges of patent infringement and advising on the protection of the "winged keel" as a trade secret.
- Founder, Federal Circuit Bar Association, 1985.
- Co-Founder, ITC Trial Lawyers Association, 1984.
- Co-Founder, U.S. Court of Federal Claims Bar Association, 1987.
- Law clerk to the Honorable Donald E. Lane, U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, 1995-2013.
- Life Court of Federal Claims Golden Eagle Award.
- D.C. Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
- George Washington University Law School Distinguished Alumni.
- Pennsylvania State University Alumni Fellow.
- American Bar Association (Advisory Panel, 2006-present; House of Delegates, 1999-2005; Section on Intellectual Property Law, 1963-present; council, 1981-1985; chairman, Patent Division, 1980-1981)
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims (Advisory Council, 1982-2006)
- LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell (Legal Advisory Board, 1996-2010)
- George Washington University Law School (Board of Advisors, 1991-1997)
- Federal Circuit Bar Association (founding president, 1984-1985; Board of Directors, 1985-1986, 1996-1999)
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce (chairman, Patent, Trademarks & Copyright Council, 1980-1982)
- International Bar Association (chairman, Patent Subcommittee of Committee L,1980-1985)
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia (trustee, Research Foundation, 1980-1981; Board of Directors, 1975-1976; chairman, Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Section, 1974-1975)
- American Arbitration Association (Panel of Neutrals, 1997-present)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (Educational Foundation Board of Directors, 2008-present)