Danny M. Awdeh
Danny Awdeh is an experienced trademark lawyer who serves an international clientele on a wide variety of trademark issues, with a focus on litigation, disputes, global portfolio management, and strategic counseling. He routinely represents some of the world's most well-known brands in high-stakes litigation in federal district and appellate courts as well as before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). In addition to obtaining favorable verdicts before the TTAB and courts, Mr. Awdeh has negotiated countless business-oriented solutions tailored to the needs of clients' global business and legal objectives.
Additionally, strategic portfolio management and counseling for U.S. and international clients with extensive international portfolios is an important part of Mr. Awdeh's practice. He has served as lead counsel on numerous high-profile global trademark portfolios, obtained important judgments around the world, launched global brands, and negotiated worldwide trademark license agreements.
Mr. Awdeh has been recognized by his peers and in-house counsel among the top trademark lawyers for contentious and non-contentious work, and has been described as a "versatile rising star," who wins praise from clients for his "measured, commercially-oriented approach."
- Bridgestone v. Federal (Fed. Cir.). Obtained decision reversing the TTAB and holding that the mark MILANZA conflicts with Bridgestone's POTENZA and TURANZA tire marks.
- Rawlings v. Under Armour (D. Wash.). Defeated demand for a preliminary injunction on a design-patent claim that would have prohibited Under Armour's sale of its new batting helmet line for two years.
- PrimeSense, Ltd. v. Primesensor Technology, Inc. (TTAB). Obtained victory on summary judgment in trademark opposition for client PrimeSense, establishing prior U.S. rights and cancelling adversary's application.
- H & H Industries, Inc. v. LTG, Ltd. (TTAB). Obtained victory at trial for client H & H Industries, Inc., cancelling adversary's trademark registration for the color gold for fluorescent light bulb end caps and clearing the way for H & H Industries to use that color.
- Recognized by The Legal 500 U.S. for trademark litigation, 2014-2016.
- Ranked in World Trademark Review 1000 among top D.C. trademark lawyers for non-contentious work, 2013-2015; and contentious work,
- Recognized as an "IP Star" in Washington, D.C. by Managing Intellectual Property, 2016.
- Ranked among top U.S. trademark lawyers in Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Trademark Law Practitioners since 2016.
- Recognized by World IP Review as a WIPR Leader for trademarks in the United States, 2016.
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (co-vice chair, Trademark Law & Practice (International) Committee, 2010-2012)
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section (chair, Trademark Committee, 2009-present)
- Wake Forest Intellectual Property Journal (Advisory Board)
- American Inns of Court
- International Trademark Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association (Section on Intellectual Property Law)
- "How to Win Big," Intellectual Property Magazine, Sept. 2016.
- Coauthor. "A $15.8 Million Question: Could You Infringe Your Own Brand in China?," Westlaw Journal Intellectual Property, Aug. 24, 2016.
- Coauthor. "More Valuable than Patents? Recognizing—and Leveraging—Trademark Assets While Avoiding Potential Pitfalls Along the Way," Landslide, Sept./Oct. 2015.
- Coauthor. "The Implications of B&B Hardware: Profound Shift, or Narrow Exception, for Litigants?" IP Litigator, Sept./Oct. 2015.
- Coauthor. "Shedding Anonymity and Embracing Your Brand Identity: Taiwan Companies Positioned to Join World's Top Global Brands," Commercial Times, Sept. 8, 2015.
- Coauthor. "Shape Trade Marks: An International Perspective," IPO Law Journal, June 3, 2015.
- Coauthor. "Golden Oldies: Record Labels Seek Pandora Payout," Intellectual Property Magazine, June 2014.
- Coauthor. "Resurrecting Abandoned Trademarks—A Question of Perception," World Trademark Review, Feb./March 2011.
- "Google Image Search: The Ninth Circuit Weighs In," Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, March 2008.
- Coauthor. "Linking Rights to Sites," Copyright World, Dec. 2007.