Clara N. Jiménez
Clara Jimenez focuses her practice on patent prosecution, client counseling, post-grant practice, and patent litigation in the chemical, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and medical device industries.
Ms. Jimenez helps clients develop patent prosecution strategies to fit their business needs. She has experience drafting and prosecuting U.S. patent applications, and coordinating foreign patent prosecution. Ms. Jimenez also has experience preparing validity and freedom-to-operate opinions. She has assisted in post-grant proceedings in the United States and abroad, including inter partes reexams, interferences, inter partes reviews and post-grant oppositions in foreign patent offices. Ms. Jimenez also represents patentees and accused infringers in litigation before U.S. district courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC).
Her technical experience includes designing and developing chemical processes for the manufacturing of chemiluminescent reagents for clinical diagnostic assays, polyurethane resins, and aerogel insulation. Before attending law school, Ms. Jimenez worked as a process engineer in the chemical industry.
Ms. Jimenez represents disabled military veterans before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veteran Claims in appeals related to denial of benefits. She also represents domestic abuse victims for the Family Law Project of the Women's Bar Foundation.
- Served as a law clerk for the University of Massachusetts General Counsel’s office, 2009-2010.
- Handled family law and domestic violence cases as a summer intern with Greater Boston Legal Services, and as a student attorney with Boston College Legal Aid Bureau, 2008, 2010.
- Sheila McGovern Scholarship, Massachusetts Association of Women Lawyers, 2009
- Judge Helen W. Nies Scholarship, Federal Circuit Bar, 2007
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- American Bar Association
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- National Bar Association
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Serves as an editor for Full Disclosure, Finnegan's patent prosecution newsletter; and as a regular contributor to Finnegan's AIA blog on PTAB trials and AIA provisions.
- Editor, AIPLA Chemical Practice Chronicles newsletter.
- Coauthor. "Amneal Pharmaceuticals, LLC v. Supernus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.:The First Successful Defense of Orange Book Listed Patents," AIPLA Chemical Practice Chronicles Newsletter, Jan. 26, 2016.
- Coauthor. "When Induced Infringement Under §271(f)(1) Turns into a Party of One: Promega Corp. v. Life Technologies Corp.," AIPLA Chemical Practice Chronicles Newsletter, Winter 2015.
- Coauthor. "Only a True Divisional Can Enter the Safe Harbor of 35 U.S.C. § 121," AIPLA Chemical Practice Chronicles, Fall 2015.
- Coauthor. "GSK v. Banner Pharmacaps, Inc.: A Refresher on Adequate Written Description Support for Structural Limitations in Chemical Claims," AIPLA Chemical Practice Chronicles Newsletter, Fall 2014.
- Coauthor. "Navigating the Supreme Court's 2013-2014 Patent Docket," CIPA Journal, June 2014.
- "PPH 2.0: Global Prosecution in the Fast Lane," IP Frontline, Nov. 18, 2013.
- Coauthor. "Inter Partes Review: Making Heads or Tails of the 'Reasonable Likelihood of Success' Standard," BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, Oct. 25, 2013.
- Coauthor. "Using Supplemental Examination Effectively to Strengthen the Value of Your Patents," BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, Sept. 30, 2011.