Chemical innovations improve lives
From basic elements to highly specialized goods, chemicals are the foundation for products that change the way we live. The chemical industry plays a fundamental role in everything from the raw materials used in manufacturing to the high-tech products that allow us to communicate, travel, eat, and save lives. Innovative companies and organizations are meeting the demand for greener, faster, and more flexible and efficient products. Beginning with the groundbreaking discoveries of Ziegler and Natta and continuing with today’s nanotechnology advancements, Finnegan has represented innovators that span the full breadth of the chemical industry.
Legal and technical insight
For more than 45 years, Finnegan’s legal expertise and broad technical experience have mirrored the breadth and complexity of the industry. Our team includes lawyers who were also trained as chemists, biological chemists, chemical engineers, polymer scientists, metallurgists, and material scientists. Some of our professionals have worked directly for major chemical companies, serving as corporate counsel or scientists. As a result, our lawyers understand the science and engineering behind today’s discoveries and have the legal experience to protect, advocate, and leverage critical IP assets.
Whether it is a new chemical compound, a new combination of chemicals, or a special formulation behind the innovation, we work to protect the IP rights associated with the resulting compositions and products. The various segments of the chemical industry and their customers have their own rules, techniques, and subtleties that can significantly affect the technical and legal analyses and methods of protection. Our clients rely on us to analyze their patent portfolios and provide comprehensive, accurate assessments of their IP assets, determining their value, identifying where they need protection, and uncovering potential challenges.
We have addressed virtually every type of IP issue for our clients in the chemical industry. Our experience includes:
- Developing and executing prosecution strategies.
- Providing counsel on business-related issues, including landscape analyses of the competitive marketplace and strategies for generating value from IP assets.
- Writing opinions and providing ongoing counseling for new and existing technologies.
- Advocating for, and defending client interests in, complex patent interferences and reexamination proceedings at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Litigating high-value chemical products in district and appellate courts.
- Conducting due diligence for mergers, acquisitions, licensing, and partnering opportunities.
- Structuring, drafting, and negotiating IP license agreements.
- Providing trademark prosecution and counseling services.
A broad range of experience
Our expertise in the chemical industry is broad and covers a number of disciplines. We work with clients in many areas of manufacturing and processing, from lab discoveries through commercial application. Our experience includes:
- Biological chemistry
- Chemical engineering
- Consumer products
- Food and beverage
- Glass manufacturing
- Inorganic and organic chemistry
- Materials science
- Oil and gas exploration and refining
- Paper and pulp
- Pharmaceutical chemistry
- Physical chemistry
- Plastics, resins, and polymers
- Rubber manufacturing
A diverse client base
We work with innovative clients of all sizes, including Fortune 100, Global 1000, and public and private organizations in chemical and related industries. Our chemical industry clients include:
- Bausch & Lomb
- MeadWestvaco (MWV)
- NOVA Chemicals
- SKC Kolon, Pl, Inc. and SKC Inc.