To keep pace with customers’ ever-changing needs for new designs and features, the automotive industry and its suppliers are constantly innovating. Hybrid technologies, in-car internet systems, safety cameras, rear radars, and touch-less tailgates are just a few of the significant advancements made in the last five years. These innovations are complemented by newly developed audio/video devices, electrical supply systems, sensors, and wiring harnesses to power train and chassis systems by the automotive supply industry. To expand market share, increase profitability, and remain competitive, automotive manufacturers and suppliers constantly seek to develop new product lines, enhance supply chains, improve inventory control, consolidate or outsource resources to improve efficiencies, and identify alternative components or parts. Innovators like these need solid IP protection. With a long history of working with innovative automotive manufacturers and suppliers, Finnegan delivers legal strategies to help protect, advocate, and leverage valuable IP assets in the automotive industry.
Understanding both the law and breakthrough science and technology
Protecting the advancements within the automotive manufacturing and supply sector requires a multidisciplinary IP team. Finnegan’s lawyers and professionals have deep experience in electrical, computer, and mechanical engineering, and materials science. More than 50 of our professionals are former U.S. patent examiners, many with experience in automotive-related fields such as transmissions; powertrains; suspension systems; brakes and braking systems; lubrication and cooling systems; body and component parts; pump and valve assemblies; car seats and other interior items, including airbags and other safety devices; exhaust systems; GPS and other guidance systems; instrumentation; batteries, alternators, and generators; fuel cells; hybrid vehicles; tires and wheels; and various types of engine systems. In high-stakes cases involving complex matters, our professionals rely on their legal and technical backgrounds to provide insight and advice to clients on issues that have critical legal and business implications.
From determining the competitive landscape for new products to developing winning litigation strategies, we provide a full range of services to our automotive clients, including:
- Advising on litigation strategies and other dispute resolution options and deploying experienced trial and appellate teams.
- Conducting post-grant review proceedings, including inter partes review and covered business method post-grant review proceedings.
- Conducting invention capture sessions that focus on the client’s business and legal needs.
- Developing and executing prosecution strategies to create strong intellectual property rights.
- Analyzing competitors’ intellectual property to avoid infringement and identify gaps and weaknesses.
- Developing licensing programs.
- Conducting due diligence investigations for merger and acquisitions.
- Developing portfolio management strategies to increase portfolio value and minimize unnecessary expenses.
- Counseling on government contracting and export rules as they relate to intellectual property.
- Providing trademark prosecution and counseling.
A diverse client base
We work with innovative clients of all sizes, including Fortune 100 and Global 1000 companies:
- Accuride Corporation
- Bridgestone Firestone
- Hyundai/Kia Motors
- Mitsubishi Motors North America
- Subaru of America/Fuji Heavy Industries
- Toyota Motor Corporation
- United Technologies Corp.