Anthony J. Lombardi
Anthony Lombardi's practice encompasses patent litigation, patent prosecution, and client counseling. He has experience with a wide range of technology areas, including computer hardware, computer architecture, software, Internet technologies, mobile devices, telecommunications, and business methods.
Mr. Lombardi's litigation practice focuses on matters before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC). He has conducted pre litigation investigations; prepared infringement, domestic industry, and validity contentions; managed fact discovery; worked with expert witnesses to prepare expert reports; drafted claim construction, pre-hearing, and post hearing briefs; taken depositions of fact witnesses; and taken expert witness testimony at trial. His recent cases have involved technologies related to smartphones, tablets, and microprocessors.
Mr. Lombardi has drafted or overseen the drafting of more than 100 patent applications, and has prosecuted or overseen the prosecution of hundreds of domestic and foreign patent applications at all stages of prosecution. His experience includes post-issuance matters such as reissue. He assists clients with strategically building and managing their patent portfolios, and with identifying portfolio licensing strategies. He also provides infringement and validity opinions.
- Certain Computing Devices with Associated Instruction Sets and Software, 337-TA-812 (ITC). Represented VIA Technologies in an investigation involving microprocessors in Apple devices.
- Certain Portable Electronic Devices and Related Software, 337-TA-721 (ITC). Represented HTC Corporation in an investigation involving graphical user interface technology in Apple devices.
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Serves as a regular contributor to Finnegan's AIA blog.
- "Patents Play a Role in Technical Academy Awards," Law360, June 18, 2015.
- "Discovery Practice Before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board," The National Law Journal, June 20, 2013.
- "Prosecuting Patent Applications from a Litigation Perspective," Westlaw Journal Intellectual Property, May 29, 2013.
- "Federal Circuit Rules Software Invention Unpatentable," TechCrunch, May 11, 2013.
- "Strategies for Developing Patent Portfolios," BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, May 3, 2013.
- "The Role of Supplemental Examination," The Intellectual Property Strategist, March 2013.
- "What Software Is Patentable? Federal Court to Consider in CLS Bank Rehearing," TechCrunch, Feb. 7, 2013.
- "Preparing Patent Applications from a Litigation Perspective," Westlaw Journal Intellectual Property, Jan. 23, 2013.