Anthony M. Gutowski
Tony Gutowski, managing partner of the firm's Reston, Va. office, focuses on client counseling, patent procurement, and patent enforcement. He advises clients ranging from large, international corporations to startups on patent matters relating to infringement, validity, due diligence, and licensing. He also focuses his practice on strategic patent portfolio growth, management, and utilization.
Mr. Gutowski has prepared and prosecuted several hundred patent applications to patent issuance and has significant experience in securing patent protection outside the U.S. He has developed vast experience in complex U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) proceedings such as interferences, appeals, reissues, and reexaminations. He has been primary counsel in several complex inter partes and ex parte reexamination proceedings, in addition to taking a lead role in patent litigations.
His technical background spans a wide array of subjects primarily in the mechanical, electro-mechanical, and business method fields. He frequently represents clients in the consumer products, medical devices, and electronics industries, where solid patent positions form a critical foundation for meeting business goals.
Mr. Gutowski is an instructor for the Patent Resources Group, where he is currently teaching a course on intellectual property issues in due diligence investigations. He frequently lectures at seminars in the U.S. and Europe on all aspects of U.S. patent law.
- Represents one of the world's leading manufacturers of construction equipment and diesel engines in matters including several very complicated inter partes reexamination proceedings, patent portfolio development, and counseling.
- Handles a substantial amount of intellectual property work for one of the world's largest consumer products companies; matters involve patent enforcement, counseling, licensing, and strategic growth of a significant international patent portfolio.
- Represented a large medical device manufacturer in due diligence relating to acquisition of another medical device manufacturer.
- Served as a patent examiner at the USPTO evaluating patentability of medical device inventions, 1989-1994.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Coauthor and Coeditor. PRG IP Due Diligence, Patent Resources Group, 2008.
- Coauthor. "U.S. Patent Law," IBC, 2001 with yearly updates 2002-2004.