Andrew J. Ra Jr.
Andrew Ra focuses his practice on patent litigation and client counseling in the chemical, pharmaceutical, medical device, biotechnology, and semiconductor areas. His litigation experience includes cases before U.S. district courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC). He also devotes a portion of his time to pro bono matters representing veterans in appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
While in law school, Mr. Ra focused his course work on intellectual property law. He also worked as a law clerk for a boutique law firm gaining extensive experience in litigation, arbitration, and criminal defense.
Prior to law school, Mr. Ra worked as a research assistant in the biology department at the University of Virginia studying the neuronal mechanisms underlying the movements of the medicinal leech.
- Served as a member of the George Mason Law Review, 2009-2010.
- Worked as a summer associate at Finnegan, 2009.
- American Bar Association
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of the Greater Washington D.C. Area
- Virginia Bar Association
- Coauthor. "Patents Held by Two Wholly Owned Subsidiaries Found Not to Be Commonly Owned by the Parent Company for Purposes of Satisfying Requirements of Terminal Disclaimer," LES Insights, Dec. 4, 2012.
- Coauthor. "Court Allows Discovery of License and Settlement Agreements, Damages Expert Reports, and Damages Expert Testimony from Different Litigation Concerning Related Technology," LES Insights, July 9, 2012.
- Coauthor. "Court Excludes Reasonable Royalty Opinion for Improper Use of the Entire Market Value Rule and for Relying on Non-Comparable License Agreements," LES Insights, May 7, 2012.
- Coauthor. "Court Allows Use of a Settlement Agreement from a Prior Patent-Infringement Litigation as a Basis for Determining a Reasonable Royalty Rate," LES Insights, April 23, 2012.
- Coauthor. "Court Doubles On-Going Royalty Rate Based on Finding of Willful Infringement," LES Insights, Jan. 17, 2012.
- Coauthor. "Court Awards 20% Royalty Rate Due to Plaintiff’s Contentious Past Relationship with Defendant," LES Insights, Nov. 14, 2011.
- Coauthor. "Court Holds That License Agreement Covers Reissue Patents Despite the Absence of Specific Language in the Agreement," LES Insights, Sept. 5, 2011.
- Coauthor. "Insufficient Quality Control Over Trademark Licensees Can Cause Trademark Rights to Be Abandoned," LES Insights, July 18, 2011.
- Coauthor. "Licensee Fined $1.85 Million for Falsely Marking Its Products as Made by a Patented Process," LES Insights, April 25, 2011.