Timothy P. McAnulty
Timothy McAnulty practices all aspects of patent law, including district court litigations, post-grant proceedings, due diligence, strategic counseling, freedom-to-operate studies, opinion writing, and portfolio development. He represents clients across a wide range of technologies and works closely with them to develop strategies aligned with their business goals.
Mr. McAnulty focuses his practice on contentious patent proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), including post-grant proceedings under the America Invents Act (AIA), reexaminations, and interferences. These proceedings can relate to and directly impact issues in parallel district court litigations, and Mr. McAnulty works closely with litigation counsel to coordinate strategies.
Throughout his career, Mr. McAnulty has conducted numerous due diligence investigations and freedom-to-operate studies. He works with acquiring companies in evaluating the strength of a target portfolio and clearance of target products. He also works with target companies to prepare portfolios for acquisition and provides counseling through investment rounds, acquisition, and initial public offerings.
Mr. McAnulty has assisted many clients in developing patent portfolios with comprehensive strategies toward enforcement, competitive landscapes, licensing, and protecting commercial embodiments. He routinely counsels clients throughout all stages of product development and often works directly with technical teams through design changes. Mr. McAnulty has drafted and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications across various technologies. His technical experience includes medical devices, engine and exhaust-treatment technologies, fuel injection systems, hydraulics, business methods, control systems, green technologies, materials, and chemical processes and equipment.
- Successfully defended the validity of several patents that were central to licensed patent portfolios during separate reexamination proceedings.
- Developed and managed U.S. portfolios for various start-up companies, providing advice on due diligence investigations during multiple investor rounds and license negotiations.
- Performed comprehensive competitor landscape analyses for alternative energy companies. Developed strategic portfolios related to both bio- and petroleum-based fuel compositions.
- Worked for several years as a patent examiner at the USPTO, examining U.S. and international applications in various mechanical technologies: gearing, bearings, lubrication, linkages, traditional step-change and continuously variable transmissions, robotic manipulators, gear shifters, derailleurs, chain-and-sprocket drives, and other machine components that often relate to automotive components like drive trains, steering columns, and gear shifters.
- Worked as an engineer for both ExxonMobil and Mobil, directly supporting refinery business units by designing and retrofitting complex reactor internals for supporting, transferring, and fluidizing catalysts. Gained working knowledge of all refinery equipment and processes.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Regular contributor to Finnegan's AIA blog on PTAB trials and AIA provisions.
- Coauthor. "Double Patenting," CIPA Journal, Jan./Feb. 2017.
- Coauthor. The Practitioner's Guide to Trials Before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, Second Edition, American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law, 2016.
- "Quality Initiatives and Pilot Programs that Streamline Patent Prosecution at the United States Patent and Trademark Office," American Intellectual Property Law Association, July 13, 2016.
- Coauthor. "Cuozzo v. Lee: Seeking Answers in the Tea Leaves," CIPA Journal, June 2016.
- Coauthor. "AIA Trial Outcomes at the USPTO Patent and Trial Appeal Board," CIPA Journal, June 2016.
- Coauthor. "A Way Around the EPO Wall," CIPA Journal, Jan. 2016.
- Coauthor. "Proving "Prior Art" at the PTAB," CIPA Journal, Jan. 2016.
- Coauthor. "U.S. Patent Office Publishes Proposed Rule Changes for AIA Trials: So What's New?" CIPA Journal, Sept. 2015.
- Coauthor. "PTAB Affirmance at the Federal Circuit," CIPA Journal, June 2015.
- Coauthor. "In re Cuozzo: Thumbs Up for the PTAB," CIPA Journal, March 2015.