Scott J. Popma
Scott Popma practices patent litigation before the federal district courts and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, primarily in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and electrical areas. He has extensive experience in all aspects of pre-trial, trial, and post-trial proceedings.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Popma advises clients on a wide variety of patent matters, including portfolio analysis, licensing, due diligence, and IP issues relating to crowdfunding. He also provides opinions of counsel relating to infringement, validity, and patentability.
Mr. Popma also devotes a portion of his time to pro bono matters. He has successfully represented numerous criminal defendants in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. He has also represents military veterans before both the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Bear Creek v. Verizon (E.D. Va.). Representing Verizon in an infringement action involving Voice over IP (VoIP) technology.
- IPVenture, Inc. v. FedEx (N.D. Cal.). Representing FedEx in an infringement action relating to package tracking technology.
- Zoltek Corporation v. Lockheed Martin (Fed. Cir.). Representing Lockheed Martin Corp. in an appeal arising from interlocutory appeal of U.S. Court of Federal Claim's decision in Zoltek Corp. v. United States regarding the scope of government-contractor immunity under 28 U.S.C. §1498.
- ArrivalStar S.A. and Melvino Technologies v. Jet Airways of India (N.D. Cal.). Secured favorable settlement for Jet Airways in an infringement action relating to vehicle tracking.
- Rolls-Royce, PLC v. United Technologies Corporation (E.D. Va.) and Certain Turbomachinery Blades, Engines and Components Thereof, 337-TA-751 (ITC). Represented UTC in a patent infringement suit; secured summary judgment of non-infringement and confidential settlement.
- ArrivalStar S.A. and Melvino Technologies v. Federal Express (W.D. Pa.). Defended FedEx Corp. in an infringement action involving advanced notification systems; obtained favorable claim construction; argued and won motion to stay case pending reexamination.
- Monsanto Company v. Syngenta Seeds (D. Del.). Represented Syngenta Seeds in an infringement action involving genetically modified corn; obtained summary judgment of non-infringement and invalidity.
- Developed strategy, including non-enablement position, in complex pharmaceutical infringement suit; obtained a stay pending reexamination in E.D. Texas.
- Drafted Federal Circuit and Supreme Court amicus briefs on behalf of the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO).
- Associate editor and a note editor of the Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Law Review, 1996-1998; and former researcher at the University of Michigan Cancer Research Center, 1995-1996.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Swedish American Chamber of Commerce
- Coauthor. "Is a Duck Dynasty Shoot-Out Brewing?" Managing Intellectual Property, Dec. 9, 2013.
- Coauthor. "Hackathons: Innovative Business Solution or a Breeding Ground for Future Competition?" Network World, Nov. 26, 2013.
- Coauthor. "How Crowdfunders Can Leverage IP to Avoid the Fate of Vaporware," Intellectual Property Today, Nov. 2013.
- Coauthor. "Your Creative, Open Hackathon Is Ripe for Ownership Disputes," Wired.com, July 22, 2013.
- Coauthor. "Freedom to Operate Analysis Could Be Key to Crowdfunding Success," BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, May 31, 2013.
- Coauthor. "Changes in the Gaming Industry Call for New Strategies for Intellectual Property Protection and Enforcement," Gamautra, April 19, 2013.
- Coauthor. "Patent Valuation During a Crowdfund Offering," Financier Worldwide, Sept. 25, 2012.
- Coauthor. "Could Crowdfunding Jeopardize Eligibility for Reduced Patent Office Fees?" BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, Sept. 14, 2012.
- Coauthor. "Best Practices for Preserving Patent Eligibility During a Crowdfund Offering," BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, Sept. 14, 2012.
- Coauthor. "How to Protect Your Intellectual Property When Using Crowdfunding," Corporate Counsel, Sept. 5, 2012.