Michael V. Young Sr.
Michael Young focuses his practice on patent prosecution, portfolio management, client counseling, and litigation, with an emphasis on computer-related technologies.
Mr. Young's patent prosecution experience includes managing foreign and domestic patent portfolios; client counseling from product development through patenting and patent assertion; U.S. patent preparation and prosecution; accelerated examination applications; appeals before Board of Appeals and Patent Interferences of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office; patentability, invalidity, and non infringement opinions; and post-grant review procedures before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board established by the America Invents Act.
Mr. Young also has litigation experience before U.S. district courts, including multidistrict litigation. He has prepared non-infringement and invalidity positions; managed fact discovery; worked with fact and expert witnesses to prepare declarations and expert reports; drafted substantive briefing; conducted trial witness preparations; and taken multiple depositions.
- Successfully obtained remand of a decision from the Board of Veteran Appeals when representing a disabled veteran before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims through Finnegan’s pro bono program.
- While in law school, served as assistant webmaster for The University of Mississippi Law School Library; responsibilities included the building, implementation, and maintenance of a new law school library website, 2007-2009.
- Worked at Finnegan as a summer associate, 2008.
- Gained technical experience in integrated circuit (IC) design as an electrical engineer intern for Triton Systems, Inc., in Long Beach, Miss., 2004-2005.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Virginia Bar Association (IP Section)
- American Bar Association (IP Section)