Michael A. Morin
Mike Morin practices patent litigation at both the trial and appellate court levels. His cases have involved a wide range of technical subjects, including medical devices, software, pharmaceuticals, biologics, consumer products, computer games, amusement rides, and sporting goods.
Mr. Morin has extensive experience in all aspects of patent litigation. He frequently serves as lead counsel in patent infringement litigations and has significant trial experience, including multiple trials and arbitrations as a
first-chair litigator. He has argued at dozens of claim construction and summary judgment hearings, with successful results. He regularly leads litigation teams in complex and significant patent infringement litigations, and has been responsible for overseeing multiple patent infringement litigations in other countries as well. Mr. Morin's trial practice is complemented by his experience before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, where he has argued on numerous occasions.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Morin advises clients regarding their intellectual property portfolios and strategies, assists with licensing issues, and renders opinions advising clients of their legal positions and responsibilities. Mr. Morin also devotes substantial time to pro bono activities, representing disabled veterans in civil matters and indigent defendants in criminal cases.
Mr. Morin frequently lectures on litigation matters. He is a faculty member of the Trial Advocacy College at the University of Virginia, where he teaches trial skills to attorneys from around the country. Mr. Morin has taught U.S. patent infringement courses for foreign practitioners throughout Europe and Asia, and has lectured at conferences hosted by the ABA, AIPLA, Ali-ABA, PRG, and PLI.
- Successful representation of Abbott in a series of litigations involving coronary stents, resulting in $400 million settlement for our client.
- Lead counsel for Abbott in three separate arbitrations, prevailing in all three cases (and recovering costs and fees in two).
- Lead counsel for AbbVie in multiple litigations involving its market-leading Humira® antibody, including a recent high-value case in which the court found our opponent's patent invalid after a week-long bench trial.
- Lead counsel for AbbVie in multiple patent infringement litigations involving its market-leading Zemplar® product.
- Lead counsel for 3M in multiple litigation matters, including a case involving its market-leading painter's tape and a case involving combat helmets.
- Lead counsel for SAP in multiple patent infringement litigations, including elcommerce.com, Inc. v. SAP (E.D. Pa.), in which judgment was entered in SAP's favor after a successful claim construction hearing.
- Lead counsel for Ameriprise in multiple patent infringement litigation matters involving financial services.
- Lead counsel for Copreci S Coop in multiple patent infringement matters relating to home appliances.
- Lead counsel for ProSlide, a worldwide leader in waterslide technology, in multiple cases.
- Served as a member of the firm's management committee, 2009-2012.
- AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Order of the Coif.
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Licensing Executives Society