Mary E. Chlebowski Ph.D.
Mary Chlebowski focuses her practice on patent litigation in U.S. district courts and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; and post-grant proceedings before the USPTO's Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) in the chemical and pharmaceutical areas.
At the district court level, Dr. Chlebowski manages day-to-day litigation activities in cases involving multiple parties. She has experience drafting motions and briefs, working with expert witnesses, and taking and defending depositions. At the appellate level, she has drafted briefs and motions, and assisted with oral arguments. Before the PTAB, Dr. Chlebowski has worked with experts, defended depositions, and drafted briefs during IPR proceedings.
Dr. Chlebowski also has an active prosecution and counseling practice which includes drafting and prosecuting U.S. patent applications; pre-grant and post-grant procedures, including preissuance submissions; opinions on patentability, infringement, and freedom-to-operate; strategic counseling on world-wide patent portfolios, including defensive strategies and litigation considerations. She is also familiar with foreign patent prosecution and proceedings, including oppositions before the European Patent Office (EPO).
- Ferring B.V. v. Watson Laboratories, Inc. (D. Nev., CAFC). Represented Ferring in Hatch-Waxman patent infringement litigations against two generic pharmaceutical companies concerning ANDAs seeking FDA approval to market generic versions of Ferring's Lysteda®.
- Henkel Corp. v. H.B. Fuller Co. (PTAB). Represents Henkel in inter parties reexamination proceeding.
- Unique involvement with foreign patent practice (e.g., participant in China IP Summer Institute sponsored by the Franklin-Pierce School of Law, work on European opposition proceedings, authored article relating to the proposed European Unified Patent Court).
- Ordillas v. McDonald (CAVC, CAFC). Represented disabled veteran before U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims and the Federal Circuit.
- Conducted independent research in a variety of areas including surfactants, anti-cancer agents, and organometallic catalysis.
- Received the Achievement Rewards for College Scientists medal, Emory University (2004, 2005).
- Howard Hughes Teacher Scholar, Emory University (2004-2005).
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Chemical Society
- Coauthor. "International Litigation," IP Litigator, Jan./Feb. 2015.
- Coauthor. "The Changing Law of Multiparty Patent Infringement in the U.S. and How It Differs from Europe: Part Two," Bloomberg Law Reports, Sept. 19, 2011.
- Coauthor. "The Changing Law of Multiparty Patent Infringement in the U.S. and How It Differs from Europe: Part One," Bloomberg Law Reports, Sept. 12, 2011.
- Coauthor. "A Summer Bunfight: USPTO First Action Interview Program Plus Two New Numbers by the Supremes," CIPA Journal, Sept. 2011.
- Coauthor. "Is the Ether Group Hydrophobic or Hydrophilic?" Langmuir, 2005.
- Coauthor. "Surface Tension of Aqueous Amphiphiles," Langmuir, 2005.
- Coauthor. "A Tribute to the Phospholipid," Langmuir, 2005.
- Coauthor. "Ultrastructure in Frozen/Etched Saline Solutions: On the Internal Cleansing of Ice," Journal of American Chemical Society, 2004.