Jonathan R. Davies Ph.D.
Jonathan Davies practices patent litigation, focusing on chemical, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology cases, including Hatch-Waxman litigation related to Abbreviated New Drug Applications (ANDA). His litigation experience includes numerous aspects of trial preparation, such as coordinating fact discovery, working with expert witnesses, conducting and defending fact and expert depositions, participating in hearings, and managing litigation teams. In addition to his litigation practice, Dr. Davies has experience with patent prosecution and advising clients in infringement and validity opinions.
Dr. Davies serves as an adjunct professor at American University, Washington College of Law, where he teaches a course on ANDA litigation and the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act (BPCIA).
Prior to joining Finnegan, Dr. Davies completed graduate studies in human physiology and conducted doctoral and post-doctoral research in cellular and molecular biology and genetics. His research focused on molecular mechanisms that regulate cellular growth and division, as well as the regulation of nuclear transport within cells.
- Member of a team representing Abbott Laboratories and AbbVie in Hatch-Waxman litigations over AbbVie’s HIV treatments Norvir® and Kaletra®.
- Astellas US LLC v. Nycomed US Inc. (D.N.J.). Member of team that represented Astellas in a Hatch-Waxman litigation over its immunosuppressant drug Protopic®.
- Eli Lilly and Co. v. Wockhardt Ltd. (S.D. Ind.). Member of team that represented Eli Lilly against multiple generic drug manufacturers in a Hatch-Waxman litigation over its drug Cymbalta®.
- Represented pro bono a mother in a child custody case in D.C. Superior Court.
- Represented a student in litigation related to the improper destruction of his home in D.C. Superior Court and U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Former editor for the Ohio State Law Journal, 2007-2008.
- Recognized as a Washington, D.C. "Rising Star" in Intellectual Property Litigation, Super Lawyers published in Thomson Reuters, 2014-2016.
- Order of the Coif.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Coauthor. "Zarxio's® Approval: Some Insights and Unanswered Questions Regarding the Future of U.S. Biosimilars," AIPLA Food and Drug Committee Newsletter, March 2015.
- Coauthor. "ANDA Litigation: Strategies and Tactics for Pharmaceutical Patent Litigators," American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law, May 30, 2012.
- Coauthor. "Follow-On Biologics: Is Your Patent Portfolio Ready?" Law 360, March 23, 2010.
- Coauthor. "Follow-On Biologics: A Patent Litigation Perspective," Pharmaceutical Commerce, Aug. 22, 2009.