Esther H. Lim
Esther H. Lim has over twenty years of experience in patent law, including litigation, prosecution, licensing, and counseling. She represents international companies from Asia, Europe, and the United States in complex cases involving technologies ranging from computers to pharmaceuticals. Ms. Lim served as the founding managing partner of Finnegan's Shanghai office.
Ms. Lim frequently writes and lectures internationally on issues relating to procurement and enforcement of U.S. intellectual property rights. For ten years, she served as editor-in-chief of the firm's Last Month at the Federal Circuit newsletter. Ms. Lim served as a law clerk to the Honorable Randall R. Rader at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Ms. Lim is active in bar leadership, community outreach, and pro bono work. She has served in leadership positions of many associations, including the D.C. Bar, ABA, Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, APABA-DC, and NAPABA. Teaching as an adjunct professor at Howard University School of Law since 2003, she also chairs its Annual Conference on Intellectual Property and Social Justice. She has handled a variety of pro bono cases, including landlord/tenant, veteran's appeal, and special education matters, and has volunteered at client intakes at community clinics.
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation.
- Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2016.
- Recognized by Chambers Global for Intellectual Property, 2016, 2017.
- Recognized by Managing Intellectual Property as an "IP Star," 2013-2015.
- Recognized as a leader in the field of intellectual property law by Chambers Asia: Asia's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013, 2015.
- Recognized as one of the Top 250 Women in IP Law by Managing Intellectual Property, 2013.
- Intellectual Property and Social Justice Award by Howard University School of Law, 2013.
- Burton Award for Legal Achievement, 2007.
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association's "Best Lawyers Under 40" award, 2005.
- Senior managing editor, Maryland Journal of International Law and Trade, 1994-1995.
- D.C. Bar (Board of Governors, 2005-2008; Outbound Lawyers Subgroup Chair, Global Legal Practice Task Force, 2015-present; Nominations Committee, 2002)
- American Bar Association (Board of Directors, FJE East Asia Limited, 2017-present; ABA Presidential Appointment to the Asia Law Initiative Council, 2012-2015; Planning Committee for National Conference for the Minority Lawyer, 2006)
- Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs (Board of Directors, 2007-2008)
- Historical Society of the D.C. Circuit (Board of Directors, 2016-present)
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of the Greater Washington, D.C. Area (President, 2001-2002; Board of Directors, 1999-2005)
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (Secretary, 2007-2008; Board of Governors, 2003-2005; Co-chair, IP Committee, 2005-2013; Co-chair, Women’s Leadership Committee, 2003-2007)
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Law Foundation (Board of Directors, 2005-2007)
- D.C. Computer Law Forum (President, 2003-2005)
- International Association of Korean Lawyers (Regional Governor, 2007-2014)
- Federal Circuit Bar Association (Planning Committee for United States-China Intellectual Property Adjudication Conference, 2012; Planning Committee for Global Communities Conference, 2011)
- Serves as an advisor and contributor for Finnegan's Federal Circuit IP blog.
- "Suprema Inc. v. ITC and ClearCorrect Operating v. ITC Top the List of the Most Important Federal Circuit Decisions from 2015," Federal Circuit IP blog, Jan. 2016.
- Coauthor. "Essentials of Standard-Essential Patents: Managing IP Risks in View of Recent Developments in the United States," Managing Intellectual Property, Chinese edition, Dec. 2013.
- "Clearing the IP Pathway for Chinese Alternative-Energy Companies," Imp & Exp Executive Magazine, June 1, 2012.
- "Influencing the Evolving IP System and Law of China Through International Outreach," Washington Journal of Law, Technology & Arts, Spring 2012.
- Coauthor. "America Invents Act: A New Era of U.S. Patent Law," Managing Intellectual Property, Chinese edition, Dec. 2011.
- "Reflections of a U.S. Lawyer in China: An Asian American Journey Back to Asia," ABA Section of International Law Diversity Newsletter, Summer 2011.
- "China's Growing Constellation in the Global IP Sky," China IP News, April 15, 2011.
- Coauthor. "2009 Patent Law Decisions of the Federal Circuit," American University Law Review, April 30, 2010.