Anthony C. Tridico Ph.D.
Anthony Tridico is the managing partner of Finnegan's European office in London, United Kingdom. Dr. Tridico has more than 15 years of experience in the field of intellectual property law and his practice involves diverse technical areas from biotechnology, chemical and pharmaceutical sciences to medical devices, diagnostic tools and instrumentation. A significant portion of his current practice is devoted to post-grant proceedings, appeals and oral hearings at the USPTO's Patent Trial and Appeal Board, as well as European Patent Office (EPO) opposition and appeal procedures. Dr. Tridico also focuses on international patent prosecution and portfolio management as well as strategic counseling including pre-litigation analysis, due diligence investigations, and the specialized areas of patent term extensions and Orange Book listings.
Working in Europe for much of his career, Dr. Tridico has gained significant knowledge of the European Patent Convention (EPC) and the diversity of laws and practice among the European national systems. His knowledge of the European legal system and how it differs from the United States allows Dr. Tridico to effectively counsel clients with global interests in intellectual property. He has also successfully represented clients in U.S. district court and
multi-national patent litigations including protecting the rights of innovative pharmaceutical companies in Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) litigations.
Dr. Tridico is a frequent lecturer on intellectual property issues at various international programs and conferences targeted to the U.S. and European business community. He has also spoken before numerous Fortune 500 companies and multi-national organizations throughout the world.
- Currently lead counsel for several clients in the chemical and biotech industries in inter partes review post-grant review proceedings challenging the validity of competitor patents.
- Successfully represented numerous clients in inter partes reexam and ex parte reexam post-grant proceedings invaliding competitor patents and helping to clear the way for freedom to operate.
- Currently defending client in an inter partes reexam and appeal before the PTAB regarding its patent portfolio directed to G-CSF analogs.
- Coordinating European opposition proceedings while providing strategic counseling of the U.S. patent portfolio for a European biotech company regarding a FDA approved product.
- Provides strategic counseling and patent prosecution and portfolio management of the global IP portfolio for Capsugel following the $2 billion spin off of the company from Pfizer.
- BTG Int'l Ltd. v. Kappos (E.D. Va.). Represented BTG International Ltd. in the first post-AIA 35 U.S.C. § 145 action in the District Court for the E.D. Va. on an appeal from the USPTO regarding a patent application directed to CDw52 specific antibodies.
- Represents Pronova BioPharma in Hatch-Waxman litigations against two companies seeking FDA approval to market generic versions of Lovaza® which had 2011 sales of over $900 million. The district court found the asserted patent claims valid, enforceable and infringed in May 2012, thus precluding marketing of any generics until April 2017.
- Regents of the Univ. of California v. Dako (N.D. Cal., Fed. Cir.). Represented Dako in defending against patent infringement allegations involving diagnostic tests for Her2 gene. Successfully defended against a PI motion and later prevailed on summary judgment. On appeal, Federal Circuit affirmed noninfringement of one patent and remanded as to the second patent.
- Adjunct professor at Georgetown University Law School.
- Recognized as a leading patent prosecutor in Belgium by Intellectual Asset Management, 2013, and in London, 2014.
- Sigma Xi.
- IPO Association (European Practice Committee, 2012-present)
- The Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (foreign member)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Chemical Society
- Serves as a regular contributor to Finnegan's AIA blog and to Full Disclosure, Finnegan's patent prosecution update.
- Coauthor. "Versata v. Callidus: A Framework for Analyzing CBM Stays but Under What Standard of Review?" CIPA Journal, Dec. 2014.
- Coauthor. "Opportunity to Get Your Application Allowed After Final Rejection—Introducing the After Final Consideration Pilot," CIPA Journal, Dec. 2014.
- Coauthor. ""Substantial Question of Patent Eligibility:" The Claim as a Whole, The Function of the Product, The Conventionality of the Steps, What Else Can Be Questioned?" AIPLA Hot Biotech, Oct. 6, 2014.
- Coauthor. "Update at the PTAB: Does the USPTO Block the Door to the Federal Circuit?" CIPA Journal, Sept. 2014.
- Coauthor. "Alice's Adventures Part II: The Rabbit Hole at the USPTO," CIPA Journal, Sept. 2014.
- Coauthor. "The Adventures of Alice in § 101 Land," CIPA Journal, Sept. 2014.
- Coauthor. "Changes in U.S. Patent Law: Important Developments for Biopharmaceutical Companies," pharmazeutische medizin, June 2014.
- Coauthor. "Facilitating Generic Drug Manufacturing: Bolar Exemptions Worldwide," WIPO Magazine, June 2014.